1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of an Atom

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Atoms in a solid are in continous vibrational motion due to thermal energy. At room temperature, the amplitude of these atomic bibrations is typically about 10^-9 cm, and their frequency is on the order of 10^12 Hz. What is the approximate period of oscillation of a typical atom? What is the mazimum speed of such an atom?

2. Relevant equations
    (1/f)=T

3. The attempt at a solution
    For period of oscillation i know the answer is 10^-12, but I do not know the formula for finding the speed of the atom. I used C=(lambda/f) but this didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The energy of a particle in SHM is mv^2/2, where v is max speed and also kA^2/2, where A is amplitude. Do you know omega in terms of k and m? Then you can figure it out.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3
    ok so omega = sqrt*k/m then multiply omega x A to get max speed? But i get a very small number and I know it's not correct, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

(omega = 2*pi*f = 2*pi/T.)

Probably doing some arithmetical errors. Show your calculations.

6. Dec 8, 2007 #5
    oh sweet, i got it thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?