1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of an electron in an electric field

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a picture tube (eg. a TV set) electrons are accelerated of an electric field. If the electric field strength is 100 kV / m and the electrons travel a distance 0.2 m from rest, what speed will they achieve?

2. Relevant equations
    E=U/d where E is electric field intensity, U is the voltage and d is the distance.

W=qU

F=qE

(mv^2)/2 = kinetic energy

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the potential electrical energy of the electron will be converted into kinetic energy. Hence:

W=qU=(mv^2)/2 or v=sqrt((2qU)/m). The charge and mass of an electron is known and so is the electrical field intensity. If I insert these values in the equation above I will get:

sqrt((2*1.602*10^(-19)*100*10^3)/9.11*10^(-31))=1.87..*10^8 m/s. The correct answer is 8*10^7 m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi zeralda21! :smile:
    what about the distance? :wink:

4. May 6, 2012 #3
    You are right, I didn´t take that into consideration. Here is another try:

If W=qU and E=U/d, then of course W=qEd. If I set this equal to the kinetic energy and solve for v i end up with:

W=qEd=(mv^2)/2 ----> v=sqrt((2qEd)/m). When I insert values for q,E,d and m(which are all known) the answer is 6*10^7 m/s, much more accurate but I think the error is too large for an "approximation error". No? What do you guys say?

5. May 6, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

??

you got 18.7 (times 107) before, and you're multiplying by √(0.2) …

how do you get 6 ? :confused:

6. May 6, 2012 #5
    I am ashamed :redface:. The answer is 8.36*10^7 m/s. Thanks tiny-tim :smile:

7. May 6, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you are humble yet contrite

o:) go in peace! o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook