Velocity of CM of Rod if struck below CM ?

In summary, the conversation discusses an elastic collision between a particle and a rod, where the particle strikes the rod at a distance below its CM and comes to a stop. The rod gains both linear and angular momentum from the particle, and the CM of the rod moves like a point mass with momentum gained from the collision. The rod is free to move in any direction on the table and the initial and final energies are compared to determine the energy lost in the collision. The angular velocity and linear velocity of the CM can be calculated from conservation of angular and linear momentum, respectively. The final energy can then be calculated and compared to the initial kinetic energy of the particle to determine the energy lost in the collision.
sweetpete28
Let's say there is an elastic collision b/t a particle and a rod. The rod (initially motionless) is struck by the particle at some distance below its CM and particle comes to rest.

So we have an elastic collision where v of particle is completely transferred to rod. BUT how do I analyze what the velocity of the CM of the rod is if it is struck below the CM?

Please help, getting frustrated...

Physics news on Phys.org
The rod gets both linear momentum and angular momentum from the particle, so it will both translate and rotate about the CM. The CM will move like a point mass with momentum gained from the collision.

ehild

Ok...

so:

1) m1v1 (particle) = (center of mass for rod = length/2)v2 and solve for v2...is what you are saying?

2) How is exactly is energy lost in this elastic collision because I put zero for delta E, energy loss in the collision and that is wrong...?

and...you're saying axis of rotation for rod is CM even though it is struck at distance = x below CM...?

sweetpete28 said:
1) m1v1 (particle) = (center of mass for rod = length/2)v2 and solve for v2...is what you are saying?

No. Momenum of the particle before collision is the same as the momentum of the rod after collision. The momentum is mass of the rod times velocity of CM.

sweetpete28 said:
2) How is exactly is energy lost in this elastic collision because I put zero for delta E, energy loss in the collision and that is wrong...?

The energy of the particle will be transferred both to the translation and rotation of the rod.

ehild

sweetpete28 said:
and...you're saying axis of rotation for rod is CM even though it is struck at distance = x below CM...?

If the rod is free, its motion is equivalent to the translation of CM and rotation about the CM.

Is the rod free, or is it fixed to an axis?

ehild

1) I meant:

m1v1 (particle) = (rod length/2)(mass of rod)(v of rod) and solve for v of rod. Is this what you are saying?

2) So the following is wrong for the collision: (1/2)m1v1^2 = (1/2)m2v2^2 + (1/2)Iω^2 (b/c this means energy is conserved)...right?

The rod is free to move in any direction on the table.

sweetpete28 said:
1) I meant:

m1v1 (particle) = (rod length/2)(mass of rod)(v of rod) and solve for v of rod. Is this what you are saying?
Momentum is mv. Why do you multiply the momentum of the CM by length?

m1v1=MrodVCM

sweetpete28 said:
2) So the following is wrong for the collision: (1/2)m1v1^2 = (1/2)m2v2^2 + (1/2)Iω^2 (b/c this means energy is conserved)...right?

It is correct. But you need the angular momentum after collision. It is the same as the angular momentum of the particle before collision, with respect to the CM. If its velocity was normal to the rod, the angular momentum of the particle is v1m1L/2 and this is equal to the angular momentum of the rod after collision.

In case the velocity is at some other angle with the rod, you need to take the angle into account. ehild

ok...

The rod is uniform with M = 1.9kg, L = .795m

The particle moves at right angles to the rod at speed v = 5.99 m/s with m = .801kg and strikes rod at distance x = .13m below CM of rod and stops (but does not stick).

So...

1) V center of mass of rod post collision = momentum of particle / mass of rod

2) Length of the particle is not given, so to find ω for which rod rotates after collision, can I use: (1/2)m1v1^2 = (1/2)MVcm^2 + (1/2)(1/12)ML^2(ω^2) [**I for rod rotating through CM = 1/12 ML^2***]...or do I need to factor in that rod was struck .13m below CM?

3) How do I find the energy lost if the initial total kinetic energy of the particle is equal to the final total kinetic energy of the rod??

I'm sorry but I'm really confused here...thanks so much for your help (and patience)...

sweetpete28 said:
ok...

The rod is uniform with M = 1.9kg, L = .795m

The particle moves at right angles to the rod at speed v = 5.99 m/s with m = .801kg and strikes rod at distance x = .13m below CM of rod and stops (but does not stick).

So...

1) V center of mass of rod post collision = momentum of particle / mass of rod

Correct.
sweetpete28 said:
2) Length of the particle is not given, so to find ω for which rod rotates after collision, can I use: (1/2)m1v1^2 = (1/2)MVcm^2 + (1/2)(1/12)ML^2(ω^2) [**I for rod rotating through CM = 1/12 ML^2***]...or do I need to factor in that rod was struck .13m below CM?

The angular momentum conserves. The particle (a point mass with no length) has angular momentum before collision which is its linear momentum multiplied with the distance from the CM (0.13 m) where it struck the rod. The angular momentum of the rod is Iω. Both angular momenta and the moment of inertia are calculated with respect to the CM.

sweetpete28 said:
3) How do I find the energy lost if the initial total kinetic energy of the particle is equal to the final total kinetic energy of the rod??

I'm sorry but I'm really confused here...thanks so much for your help (and patience)...

You said the collision was elastic, but the final zero velocity of the particle does not correspond to an elastic collision. Determine the initial and final energies.
You got the angular velocity ω from conservation of the angular momentum, and the linear velocity of the CM from conservation of linear momentum. Knowing Vcm and ω, calculate the final energy and compare to the initial KE of the particle.
ehild

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of the center of mass of a rod if struck below the center of mass?

The formula for calculating the velocity of the center of mass of a rod if struck below the center of mass is Vcm = (M/m+M) * V, where Vcm is the velocity of the center of mass, M is the mass of the rod, m is the mass of the object striking the rod, and V is the velocity of the striking object.

2. How does the velocity of the striking object affect the velocity of the center of mass of the rod?

The velocity of the striking object directly affects the velocity of the center of mass of the rod. The greater the velocity of the striking object, the greater the resulting velocity of the center of mass of the rod.

3. Does the length of the rod play a role in determining the velocity of the center of mass?

Yes, the length of the rod does play a role in determining the velocity of the center of mass. The longer the rod, the slower the velocity of the center of mass will be due to the increased moment of inertia.

4. What other factors can affect the velocity of the center of mass of a rod if struck below the center of mass?

Other factors that can affect the velocity of the center of mass of a rod if struck below the center of mass include the mass of the rod, the mass of the striking object, the angle and location of the striking object, and any external forces acting on the rod.

5. Is the velocity of the center of mass of the rod always equal to the velocity of the striking object?

No, the velocity of the center of mass of the rod is not always equal to the velocity of the striking object. It will depend on the relative masses and velocities of the rod and striking object, as well as other factors such as the angle and location of the striking object.