1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Bernoulli's equation, Venturi effect, hydraulic head, nozzle

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1
    Hi, I have this problem:

I have a vertical tube 1 meter D, in the bottom end there is a nozzle with 0,5 m D. The tube is full of water. the tube lenght is 10 meters and the nozzle lenght is 2 meters. I need to calculate the power of this by this equation:

W = Q * g * h * p

where W is watt, Q is the volumetric flow rate, g is 9.81,h is the head and p is the density (1000 kg/m3 for the water.

The issue is the velocity in the nozzle: for the Venturi effect, in the nozzle the velocity increases. So in the velocity Torricelli's equation: sqrt(2 * g * h) = v the h value changes in h = (v^2) / 2 * g that is greater then the real h value (12 meters). So in the power equations I use this second h value. Is it right?

There is an explaination: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelton_wheel#Power but I'm not understanding it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2017 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing the velocity in the tube ##v_t## is not zero. This is why the velocity in the nozzle ##v_n## gives a head ##h_n## greater than the physical height of the tube ##h_t##. The relation between the two should be:
    $$\rho g h_t + \frac{\rho v_t^2}{2} = \frac{\rho v_n^2}{2} \equiv \rho g h_n$$
    Of course, the velocity of the fluid in the tube does translate into energy in the nozzle, so ##h_n## should be considered in such a case.

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3
    Thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted