Velocity required between two connecting shafts

• Thread starter rexxii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: This is why a constant velocity ratio is required between the two shafts to maintain effective power transmission.
rexxii
Homework Statement
Velocity between two connecting shafts
Relevant Equations
not required.
Summary: Constant Velocity between two connecting shafts?
Many mechanical machines have a requirement for two shafts to be joined. Explain the requirements for constant velocity ratio between the two shafts?

I think this is to do with the requirement for continual acceleration and direction. if the two shafts are moving at a constant speed, but it the direction will be constantly changing therefore the velocity will be changing?

To ensure the system is producing energy from work completing by the mechanical system a constant velocity ration is required? is this along the right lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many mechanical mechanisms require two shafts to be joined with a constant velocity ratio to allow transmission of power through a variable angle without a considerable increase in friction. Regardless of the turning angle, the speed will remain constant however velocity will change, and this will help the mechanism to apply power in lateral and horizontal angles. A constant velocity ratio is required to ensure power is transmitted through the mechanism and keeps a continual speed. An example of this front wheel drive in a car where the car will continue moving at a constant speed however, the suspension will deal with lateral movement in the suspension and moving horizontally forward.

does the above seem correct?

Is seems like you are on the right track, but I would use examples of the transmission in a car (keep it simple and consider just the manual transmission with clutch and gears), and the differential mechanism where the drive shaft drives the rear (or front) axles...

Hi,

thank you for confirming, unfortunately, i am on a strict word count so need to be concise as possible :(

i know the general terms of it but need it to be as concise

would you go into contextual examples or would the above be concise enough for the report?

rexxii said:
Many mechanical mechanisms require two shafts to be joined with a constant velocity ratio to allow transmission of power through a variable angle without a considerable increase in friction. Regardless of the turning angle, the speed will remain constant however velocity will change
Can you say what distinction you are drawing there between speed and velocity? That part is confusing for me. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Can you say what distinction you are drawing there between speed and velocity? That part is confusing for me. Thanks.
i need to explain how two connecting shafts need connecting. If there was no connection the power applied to the mechanism would only go one way. Therefore the speed/torque/force is applied to the connected shaft which means that the force can push the force in an opposing direction.

Although the speed of the power transmission will remain the same, the velocity will always change as the angle or direction of the object moving will change

1. What is the importance of velocity in connecting shafts?

Velocity is a crucial factor in determining the performance and efficiency of connecting shafts. It affects the speed at which power is transferred between the two shafts and ultimately impacts the overall functioning of the system.

2. How is the required velocity between two connecting shafts calculated?

The required velocity between two connecting shafts is calculated by dividing the desired output speed by the input speed. This ratio is known as the velocity ratio and is used to determine the required speed of the driven shaft to achieve the desired output speed.

3. What factors can affect the required velocity between two connecting shafts?

The required velocity between two connecting shafts can be affected by various factors such as the size and diameter of the shafts, the angle of the connection, the type of coupling used, and the amount of torque being transmitted.

4. How does the type of coupling used impact the required velocity between connecting shafts?

The type of coupling used between two connecting shafts can have a significant impact on the required velocity. Flexible couplings allow for some misalignment between the shafts, which can affect the velocity ratio. Rigid couplings, on the other hand, do not allow for any misalignment and can maintain a more consistent velocity ratio.

5. What happens if the required velocity between connecting shafts is not achieved?

If the required velocity between connecting shafts is not achieved, it can result in a decrease in performance and efficiency of the system. This can lead to excessive wear and tear on the shafts and other components, ultimately causing malfunctions and failures.