bigu01
- 57
- 0
Homework Statement
The 5-kg cylinder is suspended from two equal length cords. The end of each cord is attached to a ring of negligible mass that passes along a horizontal shaft. If the rings can be separated by the greatest distance d= 400 mm and still support the cylinder, determine the the coefficient of static friction between each ring and the shaft.Homework Equations
F=μ*N; ∑Fx= 0; ∑Fy= 0
The Attempt at a Solution
Firstly, I am finding the tension in the cords. By taking the FBD of the point that it is connecting all the three cords I am getting T= 73.57 N and the angle 19.47 (angle between the shaft and the cords). Then drawing the FBD of the shaft, the friction forces are turning to be in opposite directions, thus canceling each other.I know something is wrong, as the book result of the solution suggests it too.Can you please give me hints where to look for my mistake?Attachments