Why use velocity instead of momentum in kinetic theory

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
TriTertButoxy
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Why is it in kinetic theory one uses the velocity variable, instead of the momentum variable? Wouldn't this cause problems when trying to generalize to relativistic systems?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand your question.

Momentum is in the equation. It's just hiding.
You could think of the equation for kinetic energy as [tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}pv[/tex]

because [tex]p = mv[/tex]

I don't know if this answers your question.
 
Kinetic Theory distribution function (numbrt density) is

N(x,p,t)=dN/d^2V=dN/dVxdVp

N is the number density and it is a function of the position vector, x, the momentum vector, p, and time, t.

In a relativistic setting the number density is the same except now

p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2)

The vector space x and the momentum space p, define a 6 dimensional phase space.

Hope that helps.

Matt
 
The above equation for p in a relativistic setting only holds for a particle with zero rest mass. (travels at the speed of light)
 
Archosaur said:
I think I understand your question.

Momentum is in the equation. It's just hiding.
You could think of the equation for kinetic energy as [tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}pv[/tex]

because [tex]p = mv[/tex]

I don't know if this answers your question.

Also worth noting in understanding kinetic energy

is that

KE= dp/dv

or the rate of change of momentum with respect to velocity.