1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venturi Vaccum increase in Momentum

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    I was hoping to get a more complete understanding how a Venturi vacuum increases the Momentum of the fluid.

I know Momentum is an awful way to pose this question but it really is important that it can be explained by momentum instead of conservation - Hence the post.

An initial pressure difference Sp1 -Sp2 gives rise to fluid flow with a momentum px=mx.vx As the flow enters a constriction its flow rate vx increases and a consequential fall in static pressure Sp3 , this may even fall below Atmospheric SpA and this pressure difference SpA -Sp3 will cause mass m+ to flow into the pipe in the y direction.

As it exits the constriction reverting to original radius its velocity reduces to the mean flow rate vx induced via the pressure difference Sp1 -Sp2 However this velocity is now carried by additional mass so overall px=(mx+m+).vx increases

This increase in px is not paid for by the external x direction Sp1 -Sp2 pressure difference but by the y direction pressure difference SpA -Sp3

I know this does but I want to understand how the y direction momentum py induced by the y direction pressure difference contributes to x direction momentum ?

Can someone please explain the mechanism is transferred ? as to me the y direction pressure difference (being random) has equal chance to reduce x momentum as increase it.

Bonus points for explaining the 15' requirement

Venturi Vacuum.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    Are you sure that v2 = v1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook