Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verification of moment of inertia calculation

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    I was looking at the moment of inertia list that they have on Wikipedia and noticed that the moment of inertia for a regular polygon was rather complicated. I did the calculation myself and found a significantly simpler result of

I = (m/6)(3+tan(pi/n)^2)*R^2:

m is the mass of the polygon,

n is the number of edges of the polygon,

R is the length of the line segment from the center of the polygon to one of its edges, where the line segment is perpendicular to that edge. I just wanted to verify that this is correct; I can submit a proof of how I calculated this if need be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2
    How about testing it out first for a few known polygons.If n is infinity you will have a thin solid disc for which the MI=(mR^2)/4.I think your equation gives (mR^2)/2
    Whoops,we need to clarify this.If the axis of rotation is through the centre and at 90 degrees to the plane of the disc then the MI=(mR^2)/2.If you are considering the same axis then your equation seems to give the right answer.Try some other polygons.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    moment of inertia of square:
    [tex]I_c=\frac{m(h^2+w^2)}{12}=\frac{m(2h^2)}{12}=\frac{m(\sqrt{2}R)^2}{6}=\frac{mR^2}{3}[/tex]
    but your formula shows:
    [tex]I_c=\frac{2mR^2}{3}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?