Verify a Formula for Poynting Vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses a newly derived formula for the Poynting vector in free space, using the potential formalism for radiation. The resulting formula is independent of the divergence of the vector potential and appears to be gauge-invariant. The conversation also mentions a general vector cross-product identity, which is used to verify the derived formula.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

I derived a formula last night for the Poynting vector I have never seen before, and wanted some verification and perhaps insight on.

I started with the definition for the Poynting vector in free space: $$\vec{S} = \frac{1}{\mu_{0}} \vec{E} \times \vec{B}$$ and substituted the potential formalism for radiation in free space: $$\vec{E} = -\frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}$$ $$\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}$$

Much algebra later, I wind up with the following formula in index notation using the standard Cartesian basis:

$$S_{i} = \frac{1}{\mu_{0}} \frac{\partial A^{j}}{\partial t}(\frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial x^{j}} - \frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial x^{i}})$$

As far as verification, I don't see any obvious signs that it's false. The units appear to add up (A has units of ##T*m## and ##\mu_{0}## has units of ##T^{2} * m^{3} / J##, so the whole thing has units of ##J / m^{2} * s##, which is the units of S). Also, the formula is independent of ##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}##, since the ##\frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial x^{j}} - \frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial x^{i}}## term is traceless, which makes the formula gauge-invariant. All I can tell is that it doesn't break any of the core rules, although it's not a covariant formula (since Lorentz transformations would transform some of the Poynting vector into momentum density, IIRC). I'm still not 100% convinced though. Does anyone have a reference to confirm/disprove this expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a general vector cross-product identity, I think the following general scheme applies (at least my handwritten notes say so - it should be easy enough to work out) and if you apply that to the above case with your expressions for the field components (and taking account of the minus sign in E), I think it gives the answer which you quote.

$$P \times (Q \times R) = P_j Q_i R_j - P_j Q_j R_i = P_j \, (Q_i R_j - Q_j R_i) $$

Likes Twigg
I completely forgot about that identity. Would've saved a lot of time. Thanks!

The identity is usually written using scalar products as something like ##Q (P.R) - (P.Q) R ## but that form is not useful when the terms do not commute, as in this case where one of the terms is the del operator. I see that the Wikipedia entry for Triple product shows this identity (on the last line of the main text, just before the Notes) in both forms.

Related to Verify a Formula for Poynting Vector?

1. What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity used in electromagnetism to describe the direction and magnitude of energy flow in an electromagnetic field.

2. How is the Poynting vector calculated?

The Poynting vector can be calculated using the formula P = E x B, where E is the electric field and B is the magnetic field. It represents the cross product of these two fields.

3. How is the Poynting vector used in practical applications?

The Poynting vector is used in various practical applications, such as predicting the direction and intensity of electromagnetic radiation, calculating the power and energy transfer in electrical systems, and designing antennas and other electromagnetic devices.

4. Can the Poynting vector be negative?

Yes, the Poynting vector can have a negative value, which indicates that the energy is flowing in the opposite direction of the vector. This can happen, for example, in a system where energy is being absorbed rather than emitted.

5. How do you verify a formula for Poynting vector?

To verify a formula for Poynting vector, you can compare it with experimental data or other established formulas. You can also use mathematical techniques, such as vector calculus, to manipulate and simplify the formula and ensure its accuracy.