Verify solutions of differential equation

In summary: When solving for x, what is the relationship between the coefficients?In summary, the coefficients are related such that a_1 = -2 b a_2.
coldturkey
Consider 2nd order differential equation:

[itex]
a_{2}y''(x) + a_{1}y'(x) + a_{0}y(x) = 0
[/itex]

Let b and c be the roots of the quadratic [itex]a_{2}x^2 + a_{1}x + a_{0}[/itex]

Verify that when b = c then [itex]xe^{bx}[/itex] is a solution of the Differential equation.
-----------------------------

Ok so I differentiate y a couple times and get

[itex]
y = xe^{bx}
[/itex]

[itex]
y' = xbe^{bx} + e^{bx}
[/itex]

[itex]
y'' = xb^2e^{bx}+2be^{bx}
[/itex]

Substituting into the equation yields:

[itex]
a_{2}(xb^2e^{bx}+2be^{bx}) + a_{1}(xbe^{bx} + e^{bx}) + a_{0}(xe^{bx}) = 0
[/itex]

Now if I rearrange the quadratic equation for a0
[itex]
a_{0} = -a_{2}b^2 - a_{1}b
[/itex]

then substituting that in I get

[itex]
a_{2}(xb^2e^{bx}+2be^{bx}) + a_{1}(xbe^{bx} + e^{bx}) + (-a_{2}b^2 - a_{1}b)(xe^{bx}) = 0
[/itex]

[itex]
= a_{2}2be^{bx} + a_{1}e^{bx} = 0
[/itex]

This is where I get stuck, there must be something I've missed which I can use to further simplify. I did the proof for [itex]y = e^{bx}[/itex] in the same way and it worked out easy. Can anybody give me a hint on what to do next? thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
coldturkey said:
Consider 2nd order differential equation:

[itex]
a_{2}y'' + a_{1}y' + a_{0}y = 0
[/itex]

Let b and c be the roots of the quadratic [itex]a_{2}x^2 + a_{1}x + a_{0}[/itex]

Verify that when b = c then [itex]xe^{bx}[/itex] is a solution of the Differential equation.
-----------------------------
Doesn't that imply that [itex] a_0 = {a_1^2 \over 4 a_2}[/itex]? It does not seem to be what you used.

Also, from th eway the question is posed, the b in the exponent has nothing to do with the b in "the roots are b and c", right?

They are the same b and c as I take it.

Where do you get [itex] a_0 = {a_1^2 \over 4 a_2}[/itex] from. I just assumed that it was trying to say [itex]a_{2}b^2 + a_{1}b + a_{0} = 0[/itex]

coldturkey said:
They are the same b and c as I take it.

Where do you get [itex] a_0 = {a_1^2 \over 4 a_2}[/itex] from. I just assumed that it was trying to say [itex]a_{2}b^2 + a_{1}b + a_{0} = 0[/itex]

That's not the way I intrepreted the sentence, but I may be wrong.

Consider [itex] a_2 x^2 + a_1 x + a_0 [/itex]. The two roots are [itex] x=-{a_1 \over 2} \pm {1 \over 2} {\sqrt{ a_1^2 - 4 a_0 a_2}} [/itex].
Let's call these two roots b and c. If the two roots are equal, then the term under the square root must be zero.

That's the only way I can make sense of "the two roots of the above quadratic are equal".

But I may be completely off. Sorry.

nrqed said:
That's not the way I intrepreted the sentence, but I may be wrong.

Consider [itex] a_2 x^2 + a_1 x + a_0 [/itex]. The two roots are [itex] x=-{a_1 \over 2} \pm {1 \over 2} {\sqrt{ a_1^2 - 4 a_0 a_2}} [/itex].
Let's call these two roots b and c. If the two roots are equal, then the term under the square root must be zero.

That's the only way I can make sense of "the two roots of the above quadratic are equal".

But I may be completely off. Sorry.

I forgot to divide by a_2 in writing the two roots.

I think this is what they meant to say , it seems to be working (if in addition I assume that the b equal to the unique root is the b appearing in the exponent)

nrqed said:
I forgot to divide by a_2 in writing the two roots.

I think this is what they meant to say , it seems to be working (if in addition I assume that the b equal to the unique root is the b appearing in the exponent)

assuming that the sqaure root vanishes, then the single root is -a_1 / 2 a_2. setting this equal to b, one gets a_1 = -2 b a_2.

In addition, imposing a_0 = a_1^2/(4 a_2) gives a_0 = b^2 a_2.

Using those two expressions for a_0 and a_1 in terms of a_2, you will get that everything cancels out.

Patrick

ahh i can see what you did now. I'll have a crack at it, thanks for your help

1. What is the purpose of verifying solutions of a differential equation?

Verifying solutions of a differential equation is important because it allows us to check the accuracy and correctness of our solutions. It ensures that the solution we have calculated satisfies the original differential equation and is a valid representation of the problem.

2. How do you verify a solution of a differential equation?

To verify a solution of a differential equation, we substitute the solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. If the solution satisfies the equation, it is considered a valid solution.

3. Can there be multiple solutions to a differential equation?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to a differential equation. In fact, most differential equations have an infinite number of solutions. This is because there are usually multiple ways to solve a differential equation, and each solution may differ by a constant of integration.

4. What are initial conditions and why are they important in verifying solutions?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain of the differential equation. These conditions are important because they help determine the specific solution to the differential equation and ensure that the solution is consistent with the given initial conditions.

5. Is verifying solutions necessary for all types of differential equations?

Yes, verifying solutions is necessary for all types of differential equations. Whether it is a simple first-order differential equation or a more complex higher-order differential equation, it is important to verify the solutions to ensure their accuracy and validity.