1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verifying conservative field

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify the following force field is conservative.
    F = 2xcos2yi - (x2+1)sin2yj

2. Relevant equations

∇xF=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm pretty sure this is just a mistake in the book, but according to my calculations, this isn't a conservative force.
    I used the determinant method to do the curl of F to find -2xsin(2y) + 4xsinycosy. Unless those two terms cancel each other to equal 0, then the force isn't conservative and there's a mistake in the book.

What do you think? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should brush up your HS trigonometry before doing anymore maths/physics. How do you expand sin 2y ?

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3
    Oh.
    Is there a way to expand sin2y manually, or is it just one of those things you have to memorize?

5. Oct 7, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Trigonometry generally appeals to memory even though some proofs can be visual. sin (x+y) = ? then take x=y.

6. Oct 8, 2013 #5
    [tex]\sin(2y) = 2\sin y \cos y[/tex] for any angle [itex]y[/itex]. So yes, the terms cancel out and the force is conservative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted