Verifying the Gutenberg-Richter law at small magnitudes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phyisab****
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Magnitudes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Phyisab****
Messages
584
Reaction score
2
So, I downloaded some earthquake data from the USGS database. I then plotted the log of the number of earthquakes with magnitude greater than or equal to M versus the magnitude M. This should produce a nice linear trend as predicted by the Gutenberg-Richter law. However, there is an apparent dearth of earthquakes at low magnitude.

Is this due to the sensitivity of instruments used to detect the earthquakes? Is this a well known occurrence? Is it affected by "declustering" of earthquakes at higher magnitudes?
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Small earthquakes harder to detect, not really due to sensitivity of instruments, more to do with signal drowned in noise.
 
Seems like you don't have a full data set. I also agree with billiards.