Verifying Transport Equation as a Dispersion Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transport
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dispersion equations, which are partial differential equations that allow solutions in the form of a wave function. It also explores the relationship between the cyclic frequency and wavenumber at a wave function, known as the dispersion relation. The participants then discuss if the transport equation $u_t+au_x=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$ is a dispersion equation, and after some calculations and adjustments, they conclude that it is not. They also consider the effects of amplitude on the speed of a wave and come to the conclusion that there may have been a mistake with the amplitude in the original equation.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Definition
A partial differential equation is called dispersion equation if it allows solutions in the form of a wave function and furthermore solutions in the form of a wave function with different wavenumbers have different velocities.
The relation between the cyclic frequency and the wavenumber at a wave function that is a solution of a pde is called dispersion relation.

I want to check if the transport equation $u_t+au_x=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$ is a dispersion equation.
I have tried the following:

We suppose that $u(x,t)=A \cos(kx-\omega t)$ is a solution of $u_t+a u_x=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$.

We have: $u_t= A \omega \sin(kx -\omega t) \\ u_x=-A k \sin(kx- \omega t)$

Thus it has to hold : $A \omega \sin(kx-\omega t)-a A k \sin(kx- \omega t)=0$ or equivalently $A(\omega-ak) sin(kx-\omega t)=0$.

So it has to hold: $\omega-ak=0$.

$u(x,t)=A \cos(kx- \omega t)$ is a solution of the transport equation iff $\omega-ak=0$.

We fix $\omega, k$ for which the above algebraic equation is satisfied.

We write the solution in the form of a traveling wave.

We have $u(x,t)= A \cos(kx-\omega t)=A \cos \left( k \left( x- \frac{\omega}{k}t \right)\right)$

Since $\omega-ak=0$ we have $\frac{\omega}{k}=a$.

So $u(x,t)=A \cos\left( k(x-at)\right)$ is a traveling wave with velocity $a$.

So we see that if $k_1, k_2>0$ wavenumbers with $k_1 \neq k_2$ then we have solutions in the form of a wave function

$$u_1(x,t)=A \cos(k_1(x-at)) \\ u_2(x,t)=A \cos(k_2(x-at))$$

that "travel" with the same velocity $a$.

Therefore, we conclude that the transport equation $u_t+au_x=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$ is not a dispersion equation.Am I right or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Smile)

Let's see... (Thinking)

So the speed is linear with $a$, which makes sense, and also with the amplitude $A$...
But I don't think that a wave becomes twice as fast if its amplitude is twice as high. (Worried)
Can it be there is a mistake with $A$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Smile)

Let's see... (Thinking)

So the speed is linear with $a$, which makes sense, and also with the amplitude $A$...
But I don't think that a wave becomes twice as fast if its amplitude is twice as high. (Worried)
Can it be there is a mistake with $A$? (Wondering)

Oh yes, right... I edited my post... Is it right now? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes, right... I edited my post... Is it right now? (Thinking)

Yep. I believe so. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. I believe so. (Nod)

Nice... Thanks a lot! (Yes)

1. What is a transport equation?

A transport equation is a mathematical representation of the movement of a physical quantity, such as mass, energy, or momentum, through a medium. It describes how the quantity changes over time and space due to various factors such as diffusion, convection, and sources/sinks.

2. How do you verify a transport equation?

To verify a transport equation, one must compare the equation's predictions with experimental or observational data. This involves collecting accurate data for the physical quantity of interest and comparing it with the values predicted by the transport equation under different conditions.

3. What is a dispersion equation?

A dispersion equation is a type of transport equation that specifically describes the movement of a substance or material through a medium. It takes into account factors such as dispersion, advection, and diffusion to accurately model the behavior of the substance.

4. How do you determine if a transport equation is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of a transport equation, one must assess its ability to predict the behavior of the physical quantity being studied. This can be done by comparing the equation's predictions with experimental data and assessing the overall agreement between the two.

5. What are some applications of verifying transport equations?

Verifying transport equations has numerous applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, atmospheric and oceanic sciences, and chemical engineering. It allows scientists to accurately model and predict the movement of substances, which can have important implications for environmental studies, industrial processes, and more.