Did Verizon make a math mistake on my bill?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary: The opinion part was great as well. They get the phone people to think in dollars, so when they see a decimal point, it's obviously in dollars, no matter what word/symbol is around it.
moe darklight
:smile::smile: This is why you got to check your bills carefully. This same thing happened to my mom's friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ3Oz5JVKs

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL. what a bunch of scammers. they just WONT admit it said CENTS.

thats great

That's old.

The rep said it wrong, but the customer also didn't understand the policy. IIRC his bill was correct, she was explaining it wrong.

The verizon people on the phone are just idiots, but somewhere higher up, the marketing staff intentionally decided to misuse the word "cents" knowing full well the confusion it would cause.

maze said:
The verizon people on the phone are just idiots, but somewhere higher up, the marketing staff intentionally decided to misuse the word "cents" knowing full well the confusion it would cause.
I saw the original training document, it's was worded wrong by someone that couldn't count. The billing system was programmed correctly though, so he was billed per his contract. (I worked for a competitor, so it was funny at the time).

Evo said:
I saw the original training document, it's was worded wrong by someone that couldn't count. The billing system was programmed correctly though, so he was billed per his contract. (I worked for a competitor, so it was funny at the time).

If he genuinely thought the cost was .002 cents (rather than .2 cents), and the salesperson genuinely thought the cost was .002 cents, then the "meeting of the minds" was on the price of .002 cents, so that is the contract. Period. In that case the computer program is _not_ programmed correctly - it is wrongly overcharging him.

If he would have just explained that one is a "fraction of a dollar" and the other is a "fraction of a cent" I think the supervisor could have understood that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If he would have just explained that one is a "fraction of a dollar" and the other is a "fraction of a cent" I think the supervisor could have understood that.

More likely the supervisor would have heard the word "fraction" and immediately tuned out since they "never understood fractions in school".

maze said:
More likely the supervisor would have heard the word "fraction" and immediately tuned out since they "never understood fractions in school".

It's like when someone needs to add two digit numbers or something, and they say "I was never good at math".

Evo said:

O, I'd never seen it before.

Wait, so was this a typo in the bill, or in a pamphlet? -- I don't understand how a customer would be confused over a training video.

either way, it seems to be an error on verizon's side, and it's pretty funny that the woman at the end can concede that there is a difference between half of a dollar and hald of a cent, but believes the difference between 0.002 dollars and 0.002 cent to be "a matter of opinion" :biggrin:

maze said:
If he genuinely thought the cost was .002 cents (rather than .2 cents), and the salesperson genuinely thought the cost was .002 cents, then the "meeting of the minds" was on the price of .002 cents, so that is the contract. Period. In that case the computer program is _not_ programmed correctly - it is wrongly overcharging him.

Couldn't agree more.

Not that many people know law though. Kind of like the post...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2119200&postcount=2

So, basically half-baked ideas are being thrown around here about legal issues.

I hope the guy won though.

moe darklight said:
O, I'd never seen it before.

Wait, so was this a typo in the bill, or in a pamphlet? -- I don't understand how a customer would be confused over a training video.

either way, it seems to be an error on verizon's side, and it's pretty funny that the woman at the end can concede that there is a difference between half of a dollar and hald of a cent, but believes the difference between 0.002 dollars and 0.002 cent to be "a matter of opinion" :biggrin:

It was on all the PR material. I have no idea what was on the contract, since that would probably be done by a different department. I imagine it could still be considered false advertising, regardless of the wording of the contract.

I remember this from a few years ago, it's still sad to see how stupid people can be.

"Wait, I'm teaching you math here..."

The opinion part was great as well. They get the phone people to think in dollars, so when they see a decimal point, it's obviously in dollars, no matter what word/symbol is around it.

The sad thing is, they make more than enough money from those who don't question it to pay those who do, and still make money through deception.

maze said:

JasonRox said:
Couldn't agree more.

Not that many people know law though. Kind of like the post...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2119200&postcount=2

So, basically half-baked ideas are being thrown around here about legal issues.

I hope the guy won though.
What is in a written contract will supercede anything that is accidently verbally misquoted. Whether a company wants to make an "adjustment to satisfy", is completely up to them. Cell phone customers often do not realize they are under a written contract, usually posted somewhere on the providers website.

Lots of people have trouble evaluating different orders of magnitude.

1000 times (these cartoons always have a hidden subtext that's revealed by moving your cursor over the cartoon, itself).

BobG said:
Lots of people have trouble evaluating different orders of magnitude.

1000 times (these cartoons always have a hidden subtext that's revealed by moving your cursor over the cartoon, itself).

:eek: I never noticed! that was cool :biggrin:

I always get frustrated when news articles talk about billions, because I grew up with 1 billion = 1 000 000 million, same for trillion, etc.

FAQ: Did Verizon make a math mistake on my bill?

1. Did Verizon overcharge me for my bill?

It is possible that an overcharge has occurred on your bill. We recommend thoroughly reviewing your bill and contacting Verizon customer service for clarification.

2. How can I check if there is a math mistake on my Verizon bill?

You can check for a math mistake on your Verizon bill by carefully reviewing the charges and comparing them to your usage and plan details. You can also contact Verizon customer service for assistance.

3. Is it common for Verizon to make math mistakes on bills?

While Verizon strives for accuracy in billing, it is possible for human error or technical glitches to occur. If you believe there is a math mistake on your bill, we recommend contacting Verizon customer service for resolution.

4. Will Verizon reimburse me if there is a math mistake on my bill?

If it is confirmed that there is a math mistake on your Verizon bill, they will typically reimburse you for any overcharges. We recommend contacting Verizon customer service for assistance with resolving the issue.

5. How can I prevent math mistakes on my Verizon bill in the future?

To prevent math mistakes on your Verizon bill, we recommend carefully reviewing your bill each month and contacting customer service with any discrepancies. You can also enroll in autopay and paperless billing to reduce the chance of human error. Additionally, regularly reviewing and understanding your plan details can help catch any potential mistakes.