Vertex corrections 1-loop order Yukawa theory

In summary, the Yukawa theory with a lower cutoff introduces an effective theory to compute 1-loop vertex corrections. The calculation yields a result for the vertex correction of relevance, which can be used to define the renormalized fine structure constant and calculate the running coupling. The desired proportionality of ##\Lambda \frac{d\alpha_{\Lambda}}{d\Lambda} \propto \alpha_{\Lambda}^2## holds to leading order in the running coupling, with higher order terms being negligible.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Consider the Yukawa theory ##\mathcal{L}_0 = \bar{\psi}_0(i\not \partial - m_0 - g\phi_0)\psi_0 + \frac{1}{2}(\partial \phi_0)^2 - \frac{1}{2}M_0^2 \phi_0^2 - \frac{1}{4!}\lambda_0 \phi_0^4## with cutoff ##\Lambda_0##; a lower cutoff ##\Lambda < \Lambda_0## is then introduced with an effective theory ##\mathcal{L}_{\Lambda}##. We wish to then compute the 1-loop vertex corrections ##\tilde{c}_2, \tilde{c}_3## defined by ##\Pi(p^2) \approx \tilde{c}_3\Lambda^2 + \tilde{c}_2 p^2## in the diagrams below. The second diagram, with the scalar loop, is trivial to compute and isn't really the focus of my question so consider just the diagram with the fermion loop, which is of course the only diagram of the two that contributes to ##\tilde{c}_2##, this being the vertex correction of relevance.
1-loop diagrams Yukawa.png

A straightforward calculation yields ##\tilde{c}_2 = \frac{g^2_0}{4\pi^2}\ln \frac{\Lambda_0}{\Lambda}##. The renormalized fine structure constant is defined by ##\alpha_{\Lambda} = \frac{g^2_{\Lambda}}{4\pi}## where the running coupling was calculated in class to be ##g_{\Lambda} = g_0(1 - c_1 - c_2 - \tilde{c}_2/2)## with the vertex corrections ##c_1 = \frac{g_0^2}{8\pi^2}\ln \frac{\Lambda_0}{\Lambda}, c_2 = \frac{g_0^2}{16\pi^2}\ln \frac{\Lambda_0}{\Lambda}## coming from other 1-loop diagrams that don't fall off as ##\frac{1}{\Lambda}## or faster (e.g. self-energy diagram).

Hence ##\alpha_{\Lambda} = \frac{g_0^2}{4\pi}(1 + \frac{5}{16\pi^2}g_0^2\ln \frac{\Lambda}{\Lambda_0})^2##. Thus we find ##\Lambda \frac{d\alpha_{\Lambda}}{d\Lambda} = \frac{5}{8\pi^2}\frac{g_0^4}{4\pi}(1 + \frac{5}{16\pi^2}g_0^2\ln \frac{\Lambda}{\Lambda_0})## and ##\alpha_{\Lambda}^2 = \frac{g_0^4}{16\pi^2}(1 + \frac{5}{16\pi^2}g_0^2\ln \frac{\Lambda}{\Lambda_0})^4 \approx \frac{g_0^4}{16\pi^2}(1 + \frac{5}{4\pi^2}g_0^2\ln \frac{\Lambda}{\Lambda_0}) + O(g_0^4) ##.

We have to show that ##\Lambda \frac{d\alpha_{\Lambda}}{d\Lambda} \propto \alpha_{\Lambda}^2## but I do not see how this is possible in the slightest given the above results, which I have verified time and time again by myself and with others. Does anyone know why the desired proportionality even holds? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
We have to show that ##\Lambda \frac{d\alpha_{\Lambda}}{d\Lambda} \propto \alpha_{\Lambda}^2## but I do not see how this is possible in the slightest given the above results, which I have verified time and time again by myself and with others. Does anyone know why the desired proportionality even holds? Thanks in advance!

Well, the full statement is

[tex]\Lambda \frac{d\alpha_\Lambda}{d\Lambda} \propto \alpha_\Lambda^2 + O(\alpha_\Lambda^3)[/tex]

which is consistent with what you have I think.

The_Duck said:
Well, the full statement is

[tex]\Lambda \frac{d\alpha_\Lambda}{d\Lambda} \propto \alpha_\Lambda^2 + O(\alpha_\Lambda^3)[/tex]

which is consistent with what you have I think.

I'm not sure I immediately see the consistency, could you show it explicitly if possible? Thanks.

According to your formulas we have

[tex]\Lambda \frac{d \alpha_\Lambda}{d \Lambda} - \frac{5}{2\pi} \alpha_\Lambda^2 = O(g_0^6) = O(\alpha_\Lambda^3)[/tex]

The_Duck said:
According to your formulas we have

[tex]\Lambda \frac{d \alpha_\Lambda}{d \Lambda} - \frac{5}{2\pi} \alpha_\Lambda^2 = O(g_0^6) = O(\alpha_\Lambda^3)[/tex]

Ah right, so they're only proportional to leading order in the running coupling then; that makes sense, thanks!

What is a vertex correction in a 1-loop order Yukawa theory?

A vertex correction is a quantum correction to the interaction between two particles in a 1-loop order Yukawa theory. It accounts for the effects of virtual particles on the interaction.

How do vertex corrections affect the behavior of the theory?

Vertex corrections can change the strength and range of the interaction between particles, as well as introduce new terms into the theory's equations of motion.

What is the significance of 1-loop order in Yukawa theory?

The 1-loop order is the first level of quantum corrections in Yukawa theory, taking into account interactions between particles and their virtual counterparts. It is the simplest approximation of real-world interactions and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system.

How do you calculate vertex corrections in a 1-loop order Yukawa theory?

Vertex corrections can be calculated using Feynman diagrams, where each loop in the diagram represents a quantum correction. These diagrams can then be used to calculate the strength and behavior of the interaction between particles.

What are the practical applications of studying vertex corrections in a 1-loop order Yukawa theory?

Studying vertex corrections can help us understand the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions. This knowledge can be applied in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and materials science.