Vertical motion with air friction

In summary, the conversation discusses an object falling with air friction and the equation m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg - kv. The conversation also explores using integration by parts to solve for the time it takes the object to fall, but ultimately determines that it can be done in one step using a log.
cscott
An object falling from some point in the air (near the surface) with air friction, R = kv.

So,

[tex] m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg - kv[/tex]

Seperate variables for

[tex]\int \frac{m}{mg - kv} \cdot dv = \int dt[/tex]

and for the LHS I use integration by parts, so,

[tex](m)(mgv - \frac{1}{2}kv^2) - \int mgv - \frac{1}{2}kv^2 \cdot dv = t[/tex]

am on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:
An object falling from some point in the air (near the surface) with air friction, R = kv.

So,

[tex] m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg - kv[/tex]

Seperate variables for

[tex]\int \frac{m}{mg - kv} \cdot dv = \int dt[/tex]

and for the LHS I use integration by parts, so,

[tex](m)(mgv - \frac{1}{2}kv^2) - \int mgv - \frac{1}{2}kv^2 \cdot dv = t[/tex]

am on the right track here?
Your integration by parts is incorrect (I have no idea what you used for ''u'' and ''v'' but there is no way to get what you wrote).
The integral over v is basically a log, that's all.

Woops, I see what I did. Let me try that again.

But it should take the form

[tex](m)\int (mg - kv)^{-1} \cdot dv - \int (1)\left(\int (mg - kv)^{-1}\right) \cdot dv = t[/tex]

correct?

edit: missed your part about a log. I guess we agree?

Last edited:
cscott said:
Woops, I see what I did. Let me try that again.

But it should take the form

[tex](m)\int (mg - kv)^{-1} \cdot dv - \int (1)\left(\int (mg - kv)^{-1}\right) \cdot dv = t[/tex]

correct?

edit: missed your part about a log. I guess we agree?
? The first term is the integral you started with! I am not sure where the second term could come from.

You can do the integral in one step, without using integ by parts

asdfakj I wasn't thinking of that m as a constant for some reason :\ I see now, thanks.

1. How does air friction affect the motion of an object in a vertical direction?

Air friction, also known as air resistance, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. This means that as an object moves vertically, it will experience a resistance force that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This can slow down the object's vertical motion and affect its overall trajectory.

2. What factors influence the amount of air friction experienced by an object in vertical motion?

The amount of air friction experienced by an object in vertical motion depends on several factors, including the speed and size of the object, the density of the air, and the shape and surface area of the object. Objects with larger surface areas or irregular shapes will experience more air friction than streamlined objects, and denser air will create more resistance than less dense air.

3. How does air friction impact the acceleration of an object in vertical motion?

Air friction can decrease the acceleration of an object in vertical motion. As the object moves through the air, it must overcome the force of air friction in addition to the force of gravity. This can result in a slower acceleration rate compared to an object moving without air friction. In some cases, air friction can also cause an object to decelerate or come to a stop.

4. Can air friction be beneficial in vertical motion?

In some cases, air friction can be beneficial in vertical motion. For example, air friction can be used to slow down a falling object, preventing it from hitting the ground too hard. This can also be useful in parachute or glider landings, where the air resistance helps to slow the descent of the object and make the landing smoother.

5. How can air friction be minimized in vertical motion?

To minimize air friction in vertical motion, objects can be designed with streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces. This reduces the surface area and turbulence of the object, which in turn reduces the amount of air friction experienced. Additionally, reducing the speed of the object or changing the altitude or density of the air can also minimize air friction.