Throwing an Object to Reach the Top of the Washington Monument

• Thread starter Dimented Visions
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine the initial velocity needed for an object to reach the top of the Washington Monument. The equations for velocity and position were given, and it was suggested to solve for the initial velocity and time when velocity equals zero and position equals the height of the monument. Alternatively, the initial velocity could be determined using conservation of mechanical energy. The conversation ended with the solution being confirmed as the correct answer.
Dimented Visions
"With what initial velocity must an object be thrown upward (from ground level) to reach the top of the Washington Monument (aprox. 550 feet)?" Given acceleration in regards to time a(t) = -32 feet per second due to gravity. Neglect air restistance.

What I've thought of, done etc etc
a(t)=-32 (which is f'')
f=-16t^2+(Initial Velocity)t+0

I know I need to use the 550ft somewhere, either as the f, or maybe set velocity (anti-derivative of acceleration, v=-32t+c, which c is what I'm looking for) I think I could solve if I had t, time in seconds. But not a clue how. Things I tried were trying to solve for t using the position equation (I use the f function for position) But had no luck (much erasing, and the backside of a paper later) solving for when velocity=0 (0=-32t+c) yet that's what I'm looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, a 'push' in the right direction would make my day =)

Thanks ahead, DV

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in your version, you need the two equations:
[tex]v(t)=v_{0}+at[/tex]
[tex]h(t)=v_{0}t+\frac{a}{2}t^{2}[/tex]
You are to solve these equations for [tex]v_{0}, t*[/tex]
so that v(t*)=0, h(t*)=H, where H is the height of the building.

Alternatively, you could determine [tex]v_{0}[/tex] directly from conservation of mechanical energy, without having to determine the actual instant when it occurs.

Awesome! Thanks so much.
550=(0)+32/2t^2
34.375=t^2
5.863=t

0=-32(5.863)+C
0=-187.616+C
187.616=C

Which is the answer in the book! Thanks again arildno.

What is the Washington Monument and why is it important?

The Washington Monument is a large obelisk situated in Washington D.C. It was built to honor George Washington, the first president of the United States, and is an important symbol of American patriotism and history.

How tall is the Washington Monument?

The Washington Monument stands at a height of 555 feet and 5 1/8 inches (169.29 meters).

Is it possible to throw an object to reach the top of the Washington Monument?

No, it is not possible to throw an object to reach the top of the Washington Monument. The obelisk is too tall and the laws of physics make it impossible for an object to reach such a height through throwing alone.

What is the best way to reach the top of the Washington Monument?

The best way to reach the top of the Washington Monument is by taking the elevator or stairs inside the monument. There are 897 steps in total if you choose to take the stairs.

Has anyone ever climbed to the top of the Washington Monument?

Yes, there have been a few documented cases of people climbing to the top of the Washington Monument. However, it is highly discouraged and illegal to do so without permission and proper safety equipment.