Vertical spring - elevator question

In summary, when adding force or mass to a spring-mass system that is vibrating, the amplitude will not change because the net force does not change. However, the maximum velocity will decrease if the period is increased due to the added mass. It is difficult to calculate the exact changes without knowing specific values for the system.
Volcano
A mass is attached to a spring supported from the ceiling of an elevator. We pull down on the mass and let it to vibrate. If the elevator starts to accelerate(fixed accelerate) upward,

1) How the maximum velocity changes?
2) How the amplitude changes?
3) How the total energy changes?

I think the amplitude and maximum velocity does not change. Because the acceleration doesn't change the net force but only slide down the equilibrium point. Am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Volcano said:
A mass is attached to a spring supported from the ceiling of an elevator. We pull down on the mass and let it to vibrate. If the elevator starts to accelerate(fixed accelerate) upward,

1) How the maximum velocity changes?
2) How the amplitude changes?
3) How the total energy changes?

I think the amplitude and maximum velocity does not change. Because the acceleration doesn't change the net force but only slide down the equilibrium point. Am i right?
I would agree with your choice with respect to the amplitude. However, in terms of the maximum velocity, it depends on your frame of reference, what are you measuring the velocity relative to.

P.S. We have https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" for all your textbook questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
___
|M|
===
\_\
/_/
\_\
_|_|
|...| /\
|...| .|
|...| .| moving upward
|__.|

Crazy Tosser said:
___
|M|
===
\_\
/_/
\_\
_|_|
|...| /\
|...| .|
|...| .| moving upward
|__.|
Your diagram is wrong, the mass is hanging down from the ceiling, inside the elevator, but thanks for your contribution anyway...

Hootenanny said:
Your diagram is wrong, the mass is hanging down from the ceiling, inside the elevator, but thanks for your contribution anyway...
Edit: It wouldn't actually make any difference to the answer, but it's best not to confuse the matter :smile:

Hootenanny said:

oops D=

[tex]
| \amalg| \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \bigcap \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot | \amalg |
[/tex]
[tex]
| \amalg| \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot |M| \cdot \cdot \cdot | \amalg |
[/tex]
[tex]
| \amalg| \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \bigsqcup \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot | \amalg |
[/tex]
[tex]
| \amalg| \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot | \amalg | \Uparrow Moving Up
[/tex]
[tex]
| \amalg| \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot | \amalg |
[/tex]
[tex]
| \amalg| \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot | \amalg |
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]

Last edited:
what are you measuring the velocity relative to
it is releative to elevator. But honestly i can not explain with equations. My choice is completely instinctive. By te way, it would be nice to see the pictures with post. Latex is hard for figures.

Volcano said:
it is releative to elevator. But honestly i can not explain with equations. My choice is completely instinctive. By te way, it would be nice to see the pictures with post. Latex is hard for figures.
Then you are correct, if your measuring the velocity of the mass with respect to the elevator. Obviously, if the velocity is measured relative to some other 'fixed' point outside the elevator then this will not be the case.

I want to understand the effects of adding force and adding mass while it is vibrate. As you are approved, additional force on motion is not change the amplitude and maximum velocity. Now I wonder, how the mass change the amplitude and max velocity?

Now there is not an elevator. The same spring and mass attached to the ceiling of a door instead of an elevator and vibrating. While the mass in bottom position, an additional mass attached to other one suddenly. What happens now? I think, as previous problem, the equilibrium point slides down. The amplitude will not change because net force was not change. But maximum velocity will reduce because period will increase and distance was not change. Am I right now?

Volcano said:
Now there is not an elevator. The same spring and mass attached to the ceiling of a door instead of an elevator and vibrating. While the mass in bottom position, an additional mass attached to other one suddenly. What happens now? I think, as previous problem, the equilibrium point slides down. The amplitude will not change because net force was not change.
I agree.
Volcano said:
But maximum velocity will reduce because period will increase and distance was not change. Am I right now?
I'm not sure about your reasoning, but I agree with your conclusion.

I mean period proportional with mass. If mass increase period will too. Now, if amplitude the same as before then the distance for quarter period is the same too. So I think, distance the same, if time increased then average velocity must reduce.

As I understood you agree with about maximum velocity reduce. But I can not calculate these. Any suggestion?

1. How does a vertical spring work in an elevator?

A vertical spring in an elevator works by compressing or stretching based on the weight of the elevator car and its occupants. When the elevator goes up, the spring compresses, and when it goes down, the spring stretches. This allows the elevator to move smoothly and absorb any shocks or vibrations.

2. Why is a spring used in elevators?

A spring is used in elevators because it acts as a shock absorber and provides a smooth ride for the occupants. It also helps to counterbalance the weight of the elevator car and reduce the amount of energy needed to move it.

3. How does the force of the spring affect the movement of the elevator?

The force of the spring affects the movement of the elevator by providing a counterforce to the weight of the elevator car and its occupants. This allows the elevator to move up and down with controlled acceleration and deceleration.

4. What happens if the spring in an elevator breaks?

If the spring in an elevator breaks, it can affect the smoothness of the ride and may cause the elevator to stop working. However, modern elevators have safety mechanisms in place to prevent accidents in case of spring failure.

5. Can the spring in an elevator be adjusted?

Yes, the spring in an elevator can be adjusted to accommodate different weights and loads. This is typically done during the installation or maintenance of the elevator to ensure optimal performance and safety.