Verticle launch velocity given only time.

In summary, you are given the time it takes for a cork to be launched up vertically which is 1.37s. You use the d=1/2at^2 equation to find the full distance that the cork travels and the final velocity is 0.
Acadeus

Homework Statement

you are given the time it takes for a cork to be launched up vertically which is 1.37s

Homework Equations

d=1/2at^2+vt

The Attempt at a Solution

d=1/2(9.8)(1.37)^2
d=9.2m
Because I wanted the height of the parabola I devided both the time and the distance by 2
9.2/2=4.6m, 1.37/2=0.685s
v = 4.6/0.685 = 6.72m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Acadeus! :smile:
Acadeus said:
you are given the time it takes for a cork to be launched up vertically which is 1.37s

Because I wanted the height of the parabola I devided both the time and the distance by 2

I don't understand that :confused:

Anyway, why are you finding d?

You have a v and t, and you want u …

use one of the other constant acceleration equations :wink:

Time for what?
Time it takes to launch a cork from first applying the thumbs to when it pops?
OR, what I suspect, time it takes for a cork to reach maximum height?
Presumably neglecting air resistance?

d=1/2(9.8)(1.37)^2
d=9.2m
... so v=0?
What is your reasoning here?

Note: why mess about with d(t) when you know what the final velocity and the acceleration is?

jeeze i should re-read what I post.
The time i presented is the time the cork took to travel vertically up and down
and I am looking for the launch velocity of the cork.
I used d=1/2at^2 equation so that I could find the full distance that it traveled I just derived it from d=1/2at^2+vt
if that clears anything up

Acadeus said:
jeeze i should re-read what I post.

:rolleyes:
I used d=1/2at^2 equation so that I could find the full distance that it traveled

the full distance is zero :smile:

(alternatively, if the initial velocity is v, what is the final velocity? :wink:)

well I was assuming that the total distance would be 9.2m to travel the full parabola or 4.6m to get to maximum height I was getting there through my own weird means.
I tend to take unorthodox methods to get to answers. I just want to know if it took a cork 1.37s to go up and down if the Launch velocity would be 6.72m/s

tiny-tim said:
:rolleyes:
the full distance is zero :smile:
That would be the total displacement which is zero ;) The total distance traveled would be the length of the trajectory.

Acadeus said:
well I was assuming that the total distance would be 9.2m to travel the full parabola or 4.6m to get to maximum height I was getting there through my own weird means.
You should use physics instead - works better, and can get much weirder later on.

I tend to take unorthodox methods to get to answers. I just want to know if it took a cork 1.37s to go up and down if the Launch velocity would be 6.72m/s
Well it's those methods that we are here to help with.

To answer your question: there is no reason to believe that you have obtained the correct answer.
i.e. from what you've told us, if you got the correct answer, it's probably a fluke. But I suspect you are close.

There are several ways to approach this. i.e. if it takes 1.37s to go up and down, then how long does it take to just go up to max height? What is the final speed at max height? Which suvat equation includes everything you know except for initial velocity?
OR: if the initial velocity is +u, then what is the final velocity after 1.37s? (same suvat equation)

well 1.37s is all that I was given in which I am suppose to use to find out the Launch velocity of the cork.

and 1.37s is the time it took to go up and down

well 1.37s is all that I was given in which I am suppose to use to find out the Launch velocity of the cork.
and 1.37s is the time it took to go up and down
... and that is enough.
You have been given guiding questions in previous responces - why not try answering those questions?

ok...Thank you for the help I appreciate it.

1. What is the formula for calculating vertical launch velocity given only time?

The formula for calculating vertical launch velocity is v = gt, where v is the velocity in meters per second (m/s), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

2. Can I use this formula for any type of object or only for projectiles?

This formula can be used for any type of object that is being launched vertically, whether it is a projectile or not. However, the acceleration due to gravity may vary slightly depending on the location.

3. How do I convert the units for time from seconds to minutes?

To convert the units for time from seconds to minutes, you can simply divide the given time in seconds by 60. For example, if the time is 120 seconds, the conversion would be 120 seconds ÷ 60 = 2 minutes.

4. What happens to the velocity if the time is doubled?

If the time is doubled, the velocity will also double. This is because the formula for calculating vertical launch velocity is directly proportional to time, meaning that as time increases, the velocity also increases.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum velocity that can be calculated using this formula?

No, there is no maximum or minimum velocity that can be calculated using this formula. As long as the object is being launched vertically and the time is given, the formula can be used to calculate the velocity at any point during the launch.