Find a 4-Digit Square Phone Number | Add 1 to Each Digit for Another Square

• Thread starter xholicwriter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary: Thanks for sharing your solution!In summary, the problem at hand is to find a 4-digit phone number that is a perfect square. By adding 1 to each digit of the phone number, the new number obtained is also a perfect square. To solve this problem, we can use a Diophantine equation and factor 1111 to obtain two equations with two unknowns. By finding the intersection of these equations and using some algebra, we can determine the 4-digit number to be 2025. Additionally, there are infinitely many rational solutions to the equation x^2-y^2=1111. The next problem introduced is to find a 5-digit number where removing the last 3 digits results in the cube root
xholicwriter
find a 4-digit phone number, given that it is a square. If we add 1 unit to each digit of the phone number, the new number we obtained is also a square.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So we are dealing with a number, n^2, and we are given that n<100. Our job, I'm guessing is to find an integer m such that n^2 + 1111 = m^2. Now, I could just test all n<100, but that might be too simple... although I don't know any other ways to do it!

Considering that this is a Diophantine equation, it might be better placed in the Number Theory forum, but I like it here.

BTW, computation (via Wolfram-Alpha) gives an immediate answer, but I won't reveal it here, as Wolfram-Alpha is no fun.

you're on the right path, but don't use guess and check. there is a logic way to do it

Oh, I see now. Starting with the equation n2 + 1111 = m2, we can subtract n2 from both sides and then factor to obtain 1111=(m+n)(m-n). Now, since m and n are integers, m+n and m-n must also be integers, and therefore factors of 1111. 1111 has only two factors: 11 and 101. Therefore, m+n and m-n must equal 101 and 11, respectively. (assuming that both m and n are positive, and that m>n, which is obvious from the original problem)

So now we have two equations: m+n=101 and m-n=11. Two distinct equations and two unknowns mean that there is exactly one solution. Let's add the two equations to get 2m=112. Therefore, m=56. Substitute m=56 into m-n=11 to get 56=n+11 and therefore n=45.

Finally, square n to get the original number, n2, which is 2025 and the 4-digit number that solves the problem.

Cool! if you like this type of problem, try the next one/ find a 5-digit number. If we take off the last 3 digits, the new number we obtained is the cube root of the original number

Last edited:
Char. Limit said:
Oh, I see now. Starting with the equation n2 + 1111 = m2, we can subtract n2 from both sides and then factor to obtain 1111=(m+n)(m-n). Now, since m and n are integers, m+n and m-n must also be integers, and therefore factors of 1111. 1111 has only two factors: 11 and 101. Therefore, m+n and m-n must equal 101 and 11, respectively. (assuming that both m and n are positive, and that m>n, which is obvious from the original problem)

So now we have two equations: m+n=101 and m-n=11. Two distinct equations and two unknowns mean that there is exactly one solution. Let's add the two equations to get 2m=112. Therefore, m=56. Substitute m=56 into m-n=11 to get 56=n+11 and therefore n=45.

Finally, square n to get the original number, n2, which is 2025 and the 4-digit number that solves the problem.

Very nice char! This also shows in general that the curve

[tex]x^2-y^2=1111[/tex]

has only finitely many integer solutions. Can we also find the rational solutions? Yes! Let's take an arbitrary line through (56,45) with rational slope t. Such a line has equation

[tex]y=t(x-56)+45[/tex]

The intersection of this line with the curve [itex]x^2-y^2=1111[/itex] will yield a rational point on the curve (furthermore, I don't think it's difficult to show that this yields all the rational points on the curve). So, we need to calculate the intersection, that is, evaluate the system

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{c} y=tx-56t+45\\ x^2-y^2=1111\end{array}\right.[/tex]

This is equivalent to

[tex]x^2-(tx-56t+45)^2=1111[/tex]

or

[tex](1-t^2)x^2+(112t^2-90t)x-3136t^2+5040t-3136=0[/tex]

We know x=56 to be a root, so the factoring goes easy enough:

[tex](x-56)((1-t^2)x+(56t^2-45t+56))[/tex]

So, we have the following rational solutions:

[tex]\left(\frac{56t^2-45t+56}{1-t^2},\frac{56t^2-45t+56}{1-t^2}-56t+45\right)[/tex]

In particular, there are infinitely many rational solutions to the equation

[tex]x^2-y^2=1111[/tex]

and thus there are infinitely many integer solutions to the Diophantine equation

[tex]a^2-b^2=1111c^2[/tex]

I hope that this was to some interest of people :smile:

xholicwriter said:
Cool! if you like this type of problem, try the next one/ find a 5-digit number. If we take off the last 3 digits, the new number we obtained is the cube of the original number

You mean to say that the new number is the cube root of the original number??

Anyway, the answer is

Thank you for the correction! The answer is correct, but can you show your calculation? I would like to know how you solve it?

You want to find a two digit number n such that

[tex]0<n^3-1000n<1000[/tex]

The first inequality yields that [itex]n>\sqrt{1000}>31[/itex]. The second inequality requires us to find an n such that

[tex]n^3-1000n-1000<0[/tex]

The derivative of this is

[tex]3n^2-1000[/tex]

and thus the original function has a minimum in (approximatly) 18 and that the function is negative there. After 18, it rises. So the only possible n's are the ones following right after 31. It turns out that 32 was the only answer.

micromass said:
You want to find a two digit number n such that

[tex]0<n^3-1000n<1000[/tex]

The first inequality yields that [itex]n>\sqrt{1000}>31[/itex]. The second inequality requires us to find an n such that

[tex]n^3-1000n-1000<0[/tex]

The derivative of this is

[tex]3n^2-1000[/tex]

and thus the original function has a minimum in (approximatly) 18 and that the function is negative there. After 18, it rises. So the only possible n's are the ones following right after 31. It turns out that 32 was the only answer.

AWESOME! how can you figure out the solution in such a short period of time? It took me 30' to find out the answer :(

xholicwriter said:
AWESOME! how can you figure out the solution in such a short period of time? It took me 30' to find out the answer :(

Sorry :frown:
It's experience, I think...

micromass said:
Sorry :frown:
It's experience, I think...

HAHA, I think so too

1. What is a "Very cool problem"?

A "Very cool problem" refers to a scientific or mathematical problem that is particularly interesting, challenging, and/or groundbreaking.

2. How do scientists identify a "Very cool problem"?

Scientists often identify "Very cool problems" based on their potential impact on the field, the level of difficulty in solving them, and the potential for new discoveries or advancements.

3. Can anyone solve a "Very cool problem"?

While anyone can attempt to solve a "Very cool problem", it often requires a deep understanding of the subject matter, extensive research, and advanced problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any famous examples of "Very cool problems" that have been solved?

Yes, there are many famous examples of "Very cool problems" that have been solved, such as the Higgs boson discovery in particle physics and the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem in mathematics.

5. Why are "Very cool problems" important to scientific progress?

"Very cool problems" are important to scientific progress because they push the boundaries of knowledge, inspire new ideas and approaches, and ultimately lead to advancements in various fields of study.