Very good free online thermal Physics book

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a thermal physics textbook by Schroeder and its lack of thorough explanations. The speaker then shares a website that offers a free downloadable textbook by H. Gould and J. Tobochnik, which they find to be clearer and more detailed than Schroeder's book. They also mention the book's inclusion of simulations. The speaker is considering purchasing a different textbook by Reif, but is unsure if it covers the same topics as the free textbook.
tim_lou
I am currently in a thermal physics class and am using the popular standard textbook by Schroeder. But I found some of the derivations in there non-rigorous and lack good explanation.

I looked for some additional references and I came across this site:
http://stp.clarku.edu/notes/

which contains a full thermal physics which you can download
(by H. Gould, J. Tobochnik)

This book really clears a lot of the fuzzy concepts i learned from Schroeder's book. also, the online book has a lot of simulations which is always cool to be played around with.

I thought the book is very well written and in many topics much clearer and more detailed than the ones in Schroeder's book. I just would like to share this with anyone looking for a good free text.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I've downloaded it... and I'm looking for a thermal physics text. But I don't know if I should buy Reif or print this one. Reif seems better for my third year, and it's recommended too.

So, does this book cover as much territory as Reif, or is the latter the better alternative?

I am always thrilled to hear about new resources that can aid in understanding complex concepts. I am glad to hear that you have found this online thermal physics book by Gould and Tobochnik to be helpful in clarifying some of the concepts covered in your class and in the standard textbook by Schroeder. It is important for students to have access to multiple sources of information in order to fully grasp the intricacies of a subject.

I agree that rigorous derivations and clear explanations are crucial in gaining a deep understanding of any scientific topic. It is also great that this online book includes simulations, as they can greatly enhance the learning experience and give students a more intuitive understanding of the concepts.

Thank you for sharing this resource with others who may be looking for a free and comprehensive text on thermal physics. As scientists, it is important for us to share valuable resources and knowledge with our peers. I will definitely take a look at this book and recommend it to others in my field.

1. What topics are covered in a good free online thermal physics book?

A good free online thermal physics book will cover topics such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, kinetic theory, and statistical mechanics. It may also touch on related topics like thermodynamic cycles, phase transitions, and thermal properties of matter.

2. Is it difficult to find a good free online thermal physics book?

No, there are many good free online thermal physics books available. A simple internet search can lead you to various options, such as open access textbooks from universities or free e-books from reputable sources.

3. Can a free online thermal physics book be as comprehensive as a paid textbook?

Yes, a good free online thermal physics book can be just as comprehensive as a paid textbook. Many universities and professors make their course materials available for free, and these resources can be just as detailed and informative as paid textbooks.

4. Are there any interactive features in a good free online thermal physics book?

Some free online thermal physics books may have interactive features, such as simulations, quizzes, or videos. However, this may vary depending on the specific book and its source. It is best to explore the book beforehand to see what features it offers.

5. Can a good free online thermal physics book be used as a primary textbook for a course?

Yes, a good free online thermal physics book can be used as a primary textbook for a course. It is important to carefully review the contents of the book and make sure it aligns with the course curriculum. Additionally, students may benefit from supplementing the free online book with additional resources or materials provided by the instructor.