1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very lost with l'Hospital's rule

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] infinity of ([tex]\frac{x}{x+1}[/tex])[tex]^{}x[/tex], state explicitly the type of the indeterminate form.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I somewhat understand how to use l'Hospital's rule when the form is 0/0, but the inf/inf throws me off completely.
    f'(x) = (x/(x+1))^x *ln(x/(x+1))
    but from there or maybe the start I'm lost.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    whether its 0/0 or inf/inf you proceed the same way...take the derivative of the top function and the derivative of the bottom function and evaluate the limit again

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First you need to change the expression to a 0/0 form. Hint: Take the log first, then try to rearrange that into a 0/0 form.

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    I should have posted this sooner, but isn't it in the form 1^inf ?

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yes, that's why you need to take the log first. Find the limit of the logarithm, then exponentiate to get the limit of the original expression.

7. Nov 6, 2007 #6
    so you would get e^limx->inf of xln(x/(x+1)) and then what?

8. Nov 6, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, rearrange xln(x/(x+1)) into a 0/0 form and apply l'Hopital to find the limit.

9. Nov 6, 2007 #8
    ok I got that much, and I got x/(1/ln(x/(x+1))), but I'm lost as to evaluate that lim with l'Hospitals, would it be (1) / (1/ln(x/(x+1)))', if so I haven't the slightest as to how to get that derivative.

10. Nov 6, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a lot easier to write it as ln(x/(x+1))/(1/x). Use the chain rule to do the ln part.

11. Nov 6, 2007 #10
    hey thanks for all your help guys, i got the answer (e^-1) finally and it was for a quiz so i appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?