Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Odd Residu

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    Ok so I mixed alum (aluminium potassium sulfate... I think), flower,and cornstarch in a 1:1:1 ratio, and put that in a covered pot and heated it till it produced no more smoke/fumes. This was an attempt to make a rapidly oxidizing powder in air. It was very blind science, I am sorry to say. It didn't work so I took the residue and ground it up and saved it.

Then one day I was making gun powder and I didn't have enough charcoal, or sugar. Then I remembered that I had made that an it was mostly carbon any way. So I substituted it in for charcoal. It worked like a champ. But I soon noticed that the residue left behind seemed to turn a very vibrant red as it cooled.

This really puzzles me I dont know what it is. It looks like red phosphorus but, I dont think any of the chemicals contained phosphorus. What have I made?? Please some one help me out here.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be great if you could show us a picture of it.

4. Oct 26, 2006 #3
    With "flower" you mean "sulfur flower"?
    If it's so, than that red residue, IMO, could be made of potassium polisulfides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?