Very Quick Differentiation Question

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating the equation c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos(theta) with respect to b, and the confusion over why cos(theta) remains unchanged. It is clarified that unless theta is a function of b, cos(theta) is constant and therefore not differentiated. The importance of using proper mathematical notation is also emphasized.
ozone
First I attempted to ipmlicitly differentiate
c2 = a2 + b2 -2abcos(theta)

da/db

I almost got the correct solution according to MIT's key, however I missed one part. The cos from the original function remained cos, and I had differentiated it to -sin.

I'm just wondering why it remained cos instead of being differentiated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless theta is a function of b, then cos(theta) is a constant when trying to find the derivative with respect to b.

It's very difficult to read what you have written. Are those "2"s after the letters squares? If you cannot use use LaTeX, [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab cos(\theta)[/itex], at least use "^" to indicate powers: c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab cos(theta).

But the real question is "differentiate what variable with respect to what other variable?"

Thanks, but SteamKing already helped solve my problem.. Sorry I will be sure to start using the forums code based mathematical notation from now on.

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate at which one variable changes with respect to another. It is often used to analyze the behavior of curves and functions.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is an important tool in mathematics and science because it allows us to understand and model the behavior of complex systems. It is used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to solve real-world problems.

What is the difference between partial differentiation and total differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. Total differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables.

What is the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the maximum and minimum values of a function, determining the speed and acceleration of objects, and optimizing production processes in industries such as manufacturing and finance.