Implicit differentiation question?

In summary, when using implicit differentiation to find the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point, it is important to carefully differentiate each term and pay attention to the signs and variables. In this case, the answer book shows that the correct formula is (4x^3-10x)/(4y^3-8y), not (3x^2-10x)/(4y^3-8y). This is due to a mistake in differentiating the term x^4-5x^2, which should be 4x^3-10x. It is important to carefully check and correct any mistakes in the process of implicit differentiation, as even one small error can lead to a significantly different result.
shocklightnin

Homework Statement

use implicit differentiation to find an equation of the tangent line to the curve a the given point.

y^2(y^2-4) = x^2(x^2-5)

at (0,-2)

Homework Equations

y^2(y^2-4) = x^2(x^2-5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got dy/dx to be (3x^2-10x)/(4y^3-8y)

but the answer book says otherwise:
(4x^3-10x)/(4y^3-8y)

while it works out with the point since 0/anything = 0 (which is the answer of what the slope it at that point) i ended up getting the wrong formula in the first place - how is one to do this question then?

Physics news on Phys.org
shocklightnin said:

Homework Statement

use implicit differentiation to find an equation of the tangent line to the curve a the given point.

y^2(y^2-4) = x^2(x^2-5)

at (0,-2)

Homework Equations

y^2(y^2-4) = x^2(x^2-5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got dy/dx to be (3x^2-10x)/(4y^3-8y)

but the answer book says otherwise:
(4x^3-10x)/(4y^3-8y)

So it is telling you exactly where your mistake is. What to you get when you differentiate the ##x^4-5x^2## on the right side?

good grief i had x^2(x-5) copied on my paper. goodness, nevermind haha. :$$

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function where the dependent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. It is often used in multivariate calculus and differential equations.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

Implicit differentiation involves taking the derivative of both sides of an equation with respect to the independent variable and then solving for the derivative of the dependent variable.

4. What are the advantages of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to explicitly solve for the dependent variable. It is also useful for finding the slope of a curve at a point where the function cannot be expressed in terms of the independent variable.

5. What are some common mistakes when performing implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes when performing implicit differentiation include not using the chain rule correctly, not simplifying the derivative after taking it, and not using proper notation for the derivative of the dependent variable.