Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Very quick Taylor Approximation Question

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(x) = sin x
    a) find p_6 (taylor polynomial 6th degree) for f at x = 0
    b) How accurate is this on the interval [-1,1]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got p_6 = x + (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120, which was correct as per the solution manual. My issue is with part b.

What's the procedure that one takes to estimate the accuracy of a taylor approximation within a given interval?

Thank you all for your help
    M

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One of your signs is wrong in your polynomial. The Maclaurin series for sin(x) (which is a Taylor series evaluated at 0) is an alternating series. Do you know a formula for estimating the error when you truncate an alternating series? There's also a formula for a bound on the error in a Taylor series.

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    My mistake, the correct formula is:

p_6(x) = x - (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120

I understand that, in order to find the error, we must f(x) - p_6(x) = R_6(x). Where R_6(x) represents the error. What I don't understand is where the interval [-1,1] come into play.

Thanks!

M

5. Feb 21, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The error expression, R_6(x) is a function of x. Since x is in the interval [-1, 1], then R_6(x) has a maximum value somewhere on that interval.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook