1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Very quick Taylor Approximation Question

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(x) = sin x
    a) find p_6 (taylor polynomial 6th degree) for f at x = 0
    b) How accurate is this on the interval [-1,1]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got p_6 = x + (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120, which was correct as per the solution manual. My issue is with part b.

What's the procedure that one takes to estimate the accuracy of a taylor approximation within a given interval?

Thank you all for your help
    M

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One of your signs is wrong in your polynomial. The Maclaurin series for sin(x) (which is a Taylor series evaluated at 0) is an alternating series. Do you know a formula for estimating the error when you truncate an alternating series? There's also a formula for a bound on the error in a Taylor series.

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    My mistake, the correct formula is:

p_6(x) = x - (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120

I understand that, in order to find the error, we must f(x) - p_6(x) = R_6(x). Where R_6(x) represents the error. What I don't understand is where the interval [-1,1] come into play.

Thanks!

M

5. Feb 21, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The error expression, R_6(x) is a function of x. Since x is in the interval [-1, 1], then R_6(x) has a maximum value somewhere on that interval.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook