Very quick easy Trig/Angle question

In summary: Answers I remember were, 27 degrees, "can't be solved without knowing width", 63 degrees. Those are all the ones I can remember, there were two more.
Pablo1122

Homework Statement

The river flows 5km/hr in the west direction. The boat that has a speed of 10km/hr. It starts from the south bank to the north. Then the question is to essentially find the angle theta.

Homework Equations

Tan-1(5/10) or Tan-1(10/5)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tan^-1(5/10) or Tan^-1(5/10).

So basically the answer is asking to find the angle theta, when drawing the triangle I get this.

x4U7Ted.png

Now basically I'm confused on what angle to take. If I take the top left angle then I would get tan^-1(10/5) but, if I take the bottom right get tan^-1(5/10).

All the answers provided are in terms of "east of north". If I look at this logically, north east is the top right but the east of north would be the angle at the bottom right. I'm just trying to know which one would be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
East of north is in the upper right quadrant. North of east is also in the upper right quadrant. Why can't you give the answer in terms of "north of west" or "west of north"?

TomHart said:
East of north is in the upper right quadrant. North of east is also in the upper right quadrant. Why can't you give the answer in terms of "north of west" or "west of north"?
It was a multiple choice question and all the answers were written as "east of north" and one was "cannot be done without knowing width of the river".

Okay, I see. Was there a negative answer?

TomHart said:
Okay, I see. Was there a negative answer?
No, there were no negative answers.

Well, was there an answer between 270 and 360?

TomHart said:
Well, was there an answer between 270 and 360?
No there was not.

Please give the complete statement of the problem as it was given to you, as well as all of the choices you were given.

I suspect that they may be asking for the heading required for the boat to travel directly North.

Likes TomHart
Pablo1122 said:
If I take the top left angle then I would get tan^-1(10/5) but, if I take the bottom right get tan^-1(5/10).

That statement is correct. What makes the most sense to me is the bottom right angle that you drew, which you can find by tan-1(5/10). Whatever that turns out to be, I would describe that angle as "west of north".

TomHart said:
That statement is correct. What makes the most sense to me is the bottom right angle that you drew, which you can find by tan-1(5/10). Whatever that turns out to be, I would describe that angle as "west of north".
ya that's what I did on the exam. I just put that answer to "east of north" which was on of the listed answers. It makes the most sense but it's not east of north so I was confused.

Pablo1222, please answer SammyS's request to give the complete problem statement (and choices). I thought he had a good point.

SammyS said:
Please give the complete statement of the problem as it was given to you, as well as all of the choices you were given.

I suspect that they may be asking for the heading required for the boat to travel directly North.

This is based off memory of the exam. This is what I remember

The river flows 5km in the west direction. A boat which has a speed of 10km/hr traveling from the southbank to the north. Then I'm not sure how it was written but it essentially said to find the angle. The answers were all in degreee. Answers I remeber were, 27 degrees, "can't be solved without knowing width", 63 degrees. Those are all the ones I can remember, there were two more.

TomHart said:
Pablo1222, please answer SammyS's request to give the complete problem statement (and choices). I thought he had a good point.

http://i.imgur.com/wv2YPjF.png

Not sure if this helps you at all.

Well, something is not right with the problem as it relates to the possible answers. Based on the problem you wrote, the answer looks like it should be 27° west of north, or 63° degrees north of west. And if you wanted to put the answer in terms of east of north, the answer should be -27° east of north.

Pablo1122 said:

Answers I remember were, 27 degrees, "can't be solved without knowing width", 63 degrees. Those are all the ones I can remember, there were two more.
You would probably remember 30°, if that was one of the choices.

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and can also be applied to other shapes and situations.

2. What is an angle?

An angle is the measure of the amount of rotation between two intersecting lines. It is typically measured in degrees, with a full rotation being 360 degrees.

3. How do you find the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle?

You can find the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle by using a calculator or by using trigonometric tables. Alternatively, you can use the mnemonic SOH-CAH-TOA, which stands for sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent = opposite/adjacent.

4. What is the difference between radians and degrees?

Radians and degrees are two units of measurement for angles. Radians are based on the radius of a circle and have a value of 2π radians in a full rotation. Degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts. Radians are typically used in advanced mathematics and physics, while degrees are more commonly used in everyday situations.

5. How can Trigonometry be used in real life?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, navigation, and physics. It can be used to calculate distances and heights, determine angles and trajectories, and solve problems involving right triangles. For example, it is used in construction to calculate the height of buildings and in astronomy to measure the distances between stars.