VFD problems motor not running?

In summary, the conversation discusses a customer having issues with a motor that was tampered with and now is unbalanced. The maintenance people are measuring a voltage difference and the speaker suggests that the output from the VFD or the motor itself may be the cause. They also mention the use of a true rms voltmeter to accurately measure the voltage.
vsdguy
Hi all,

I am new on the forum. I have a customer who is having some problems with running their motor with the VFD. I realized they had tampered with the setup parameters and luckily we corrected all the parameters. However, they have gained control on the motor, but the motor is unbalanced. The maintenance people are measuring between phases 300 vac instead of 240 vac. It's a three phase motor rated 415 volts at 50 Hz.
I told the customer that either the output from the VFD is not balanced or the motor might be damaged.
What else can I help to solve this problem?
Any help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are they using a true rms voltmeter to measure the voltage? The VFD changes the wave...

Hi there,

First of all, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have already taken some necessary steps in identifying and correcting the setup parameters that were tampered with. However, it seems like there may still be an issue with the motor or the VFD itself.

One thing to check is the input voltage to the VFD. Make sure it is within the rated range (415 volts) and that all phases are balanced. If the input voltage is not balanced, it could be causing the unbalanced output to the motor.

Another thing to consider is the condition of the motor itself. It's possible that it may have been damaged due to the previous tampering or possibly due to the unbalanced output from the VFD. It may be worth having a professional inspect the motor to determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced.

In addition, it may be helpful to check the VFD's manual or contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting tips specific to your model. They may be able to provide more insight into the potential causes of the unbalanced motor and how to address it.

I hope this helps and that you are able to resolve the issue for your customer. Best of luck!

1. What are some common causes of a VFD problem causing a motor not to run?

There are several potential causes of a VFD problem that can result in a motor not running. These include incorrect wiring, faulty components, incorrect programming or parameter settings, and power supply issues. It is important to troubleshoot and isolate the root cause of the problem in order to properly address and resolve it.

2. How can I troubleshoot a VFD problem causing a motor not to run?

There are several steps you can take to troubleshoot a VFD problem that is preventing a motor from running. These include checking the power supply, checking the wiring and connections, ensuring the VFD is properly programmed and configured, and checking for any faulty components. It may also be helpful to consult the manufacturer's manual for troubleshooting guidance.

3. What are some signs that a VFD problem is causing a motor not to run?

Some common signs that a VFD problem may be causing a motor not to run include a lack of power or movement in the motor, unusual noises or vibrations coming from the motor, or error messages or fault codes displayed on the VFD. It is important to pay attention to these signs and address any potential VFD issues promptly to prevent further damage.

4. Can a VFD problem be fixed or does the entire unit need to be replaced?

In most cases, a VFD problem that is causing a motor not to run can be fixed by troubleshooting and addressing the root cause of the issue. This may involve replacing faulty components, reprogramming the VFD, or making necessary adjustments to the wiring and connections. In rare cases, the entire unit may need to be replaced if the VFD is severely damaged or beyond repair.

5. How can I prevent VFD problems from causing a motor not to run in the future?

To prevent VFD problems from causing a motor not to run in the future, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the VFD and its components. This may include checking for loose connections, keeping the unit clean and free of debris, and following proper programming and parameter settings. It is also helpful to address any potential issues promptly and seek professional assistance if needed.