Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I acquire the shaft position of my motor using my VFD

1. Mar 24, 2017 #1
    The project I am working on is to design the control system for a shock dynamometer. I am using Labview and communicating to the VFD using Modbus. The shock dyno will look a little something like this;
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.37.44 AM.png

So one of the main objectives in my project is to produce a plot as seen below;
    graph.GIF

The force will be data coming from a load cell.

The Displacement will be the linear displacement of the shock being tested (the compression/rebound). To clarify what I mean, I have included the figure below;
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 12.35.54 PM.png

My question is: Do you think I would be able to acquire the shaft position from my motor using my VFD?

I called AutomationDirect (the manufacturer of the VFD) and asked them this question and they told me no considering the motor I am using (3 phase) is not a servo motor but I just wanted to double check with the forums to make sure. I tried reading the encoder feedback registers through Modbus and moving the shaft by hand to see if any values changed but no luck. I'm guessing I may have to implement some kind of proximity sensor in order to acquire the data for displacement. Due to the design of the dyno, I don't think I would be able to attach an external rotary encoder to the shaft of the motor. Any suggestions?

In case it helps, below is a picture of the nameplate on the motor and also the link and model of the VFD I am using.

motor nameplate.jpg
    VFD: DURApulse GS3-21P0 AC Drive
    VFD Manual: https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta.../gs3m/gs3m.pdf

Thank you.

-Kevin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2017 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the main concern the shaft position or the position of the slide? There are many encoders that will report linear position.

4. Mar 24, 2017 #3
    This looks like an induction motor, so there is no telling where the rotor position is at any particular instant.

5. Mar 24, 2017 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer you have been told from mikeholt is correct as well as in post #3 of this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted