Can I acquire the shaft position of my motor using my VFD

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
belae1ka
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
The project I am working on is to design the control system for a shock dynamometer. I am using Labview and communicating to the VFD using Modbus. The shock dyno will look a little something like this;
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.37.44 AM.png


So one of the main objectives in my project is to produce a plot as seen below;
graph.GIF


The force will be data coming from a load cell.

The Displacement will be the linear displacement of the shock being tested (the compression/rebound). To clarify what I mean, I have included the figure below;
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 12.35.54 PM.png
My question is: Do you think I would be able to acquire the shaft position from my motor using my VFD?

I called AutomationDirect (the manufacturer of the VFD) and asked them this question and they told me no considering the motor I am using (3 phase) is not a servo motor but I just wanted to double check with the forums to make sure. I tried reading the encoder feedback registers through Modbus and moving the shaft by hand to see if any values changed but no luck. I'm guessing I may have to implement some kind of proximity sensor in order to acquire the data for displacement. Due to the design of the dyno, I don't think I would be able to attach an external rotary encoder to the shaft of the motor. Any suggestions?

In case it helps, below is a picture of the nameplate on the motor and also the link and model of the VFD I am using.

motor nameplate.jpg

VFD: DURApulse GS3-21P0 AC Drive
VFD Manual: https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta.../gs3m/gs3m.pdf

Thank you.

-Kevin
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the main concern the shaft position or the position of the slide? There are many encoders that will report linear position.
 
This looks like an induction motor, so there is no telling where the rotor position is at any particular instant.
 
The answer you have been told from mikeholt is correct as well as in post #3 of this thread.