Vibration: find the stiffness of the spring

In summary, the machine would need to be mounted on helical springs with a damping coefficient of 0.1 in order to protect it from becoming a harmonic disturber.
bigbang42

Homework Statement

a machine of mass 100 tonne generates a simple harmonic disturbing force when operating at a speed of 200rpm. to protect the floor and surrounding machinery it is proposed tp mount the machine on helical springs so that the transmissibility ratio is reduced to 0.1

Q1 determine the total stiffness of the springs required assuming the damping to be negligible ??

I'm having with this question because apparently certain sections you have to make "assumptions" which to me is more like guess work

Homework Equations

ωn = sqrt ( k/m)

tr = [itex]\sqrt{(1 + ( 2ζ ω/ωn) / ((1 - (ω/ωn)^2)^2 + (2ζ ω/ωn)^2) }[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

right what I've done is I've said that ζ=0 which gets rid of anything in the tr formula with ζ in as obviously anything multiplied by 0 is 0

so that leaves sqrt [ 1 / ((1-(ω/ωn)^2)^2) ]

i found ω is 200/60 x 2pi so you get something like ω=(20/3)pi

i then rearranged the tr formula two lines above to get ωn = 20

then used the formula ωn= sqrt (k/m)

rearranged to get k = ωn^2 x m and got a stupidly high answer so i imagine i done all the above wrong

can anyone give me any steps on what to do or where I'm going wrong, i have been tearing my hair out over it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the result is "stupidly high"?
It is a 100T machine, after all. So what are you using as your benchmark for "high"?

i got something silly like 3.9x10^8 for my k value in the end, is that not too high ?

"too high" compared with what?

what sort of value were you expecting and why?
(get into the habit of justifying your hunches.)

i.e.
How far would that 100T machine compress the springs under gravity alone?
What would happen to that compression under the kind of value you were expecting?
i.e. how tall would the springs have to be just to support the machine off the floor?
i.e. how long are industrial springs ... normally?

Letting you off the hook:
With no damping, the transmissibility ratio is $$Tr=\frac{1}{\left | 1-\frac{\omega^2}{\omega_0^2}\right |}$$ ... This is the same as yours, but written more clearly so you can see what is going on better.
Bearing this in mind, you told us:
i found ω is 200/60 x 2pi so you get something like ω=(20/3)pi
i then rearranged the tr formula two lines above to get ωn = 20
Notice that ω = 20π/3 ≈ 20 also ... which suggests a frequency ratio close to 1 - or resonant transmissibility (Tr → ∞): the opposite of what is wanted. The question calls for Tr=1/10 ...

What is vibration?

Vibration is a repetitive motion that occurs around an equilibrium point. It is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water.

What causes vibration?

Vibration is caused by a disturbance or an external force acting on an object, which causes it to oscillate around an equilibrium point. This disturbance can be anything from a sound wave to a physical impact.

What is stiffness of a spring?

Stiffness of a spring is a measure of how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain amount. It is a property of the material and design of the spring.

How do you find the stiffness of a spring?

The stiffness of a spring can be found by performing a simple experiment where the spring is stretched or compressed by applying different forces and measuring the resulting displacement. The stiffness is then calculated by dividing the force by the displacement.

Why is it important to determine the stiffness of a spring?

Determining the stiffness of a spring is important in many applications, including engineering, construction, and vibration analysis. It allows us to understand how a spring will behave under different conditions and how it will affect the overall system in which it is used.