1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration Massless spring static equilibrium

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    Let us imagine that there is a Massless spring with fixed at one end.

Unloaded length = L

Spring constant: = k

Mass = 0

The spring is at static Equilibrium

Force: F

Displacement: d

F = k d,
    elongated length: L+d

If I remove F, what will happen ?

1. Spring return to the original length: L and Stop moving

2. Spring length vibrate between "L - d" and "L+d"

Note: there is no mass, damping, friction.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Its possible to think and give some answers but it seems to me that they will be non-sense. And because this question is actually useless and non-physical (there is no massless spring!), I think its better that you don't ask this question and don't face such non-sense answers because of nothing!

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3
    When you remove the force F it gets vibrating around the equilibrium point L and keeps so provided there is no dissipating forces like the air resistance to deplete the vibrational energy of the spring.

5. Oct 15, 2014 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That's what any real spring would do, but OP has carefully specified a massless spring. As Shyan says, there is no solution in that case - we're applying a non-zero force to a zero mass and that situation is unphysical.

6. Oct 15, 2014 #5
    I understand. I was assuming that there is still a little mass in order to involve it in the vibration. Otherwise, it is nonsense to think of vibrating a massless spring. But I don't think that is what he means, i.e. we don't have any physical spring to be totally massless. By M = 0 I think he means an infinitesimal mass, say of order epsilon, though. He should specify..

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6
    I was thinking about another possibility, but as we are in classical physics you are right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook