Vibration Massless spring static equilibrium

In summary: When you remove the force F it gets vibrating around the equilibrium point L and keeps so provided there is no dissipating forces like the air resistance to deplete the vibrational energy of the spring.
Gunmo
Let us imagine that there is a Massless spring with fixed at one end.

Unloaded length = L

Spring constant: = k

Mass = 0The spring is at static Equilibrium

Force: F

Displacement: d

F = k d,
elongated length: L+d

If I remove F, what will happen ?

1. Spring return to the original length: L and Stop moving

2. Spring length vibrate between "L - d" and "L+d"

Note: there is no mass, damping, friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its possible to think and give some answers but it seems to me that they will be non-sense. And because this question is actually useless and non-physical (there is no massless spring!), I think its better that you don't ask this question and don't face such non-sense answers because of nothing!

When you remove the force F it gets vibrating around the equilibrium point L and keeps so provided there is no dissipating forces like the air resistance to deplete the vibrational energy of the spring.

PaulDirac said:
When you remove the force F it gets vibrating around the equilibrium point L and keeps so provided there is no dissipating forces like the air resistance to deplete the vibrational energy of the spring.
That's what any real spring would do, but OP has carefully specified a massless spring. As Shyan says, there is no solution in that case - we're applying a non-zero force to a zero mass and that situation is unphysical.

I understand. I was assuming that there is still a little mass in order to involve it in the vibration. Otherwise, it is nonsense to think of vibrating a massless spring. But I don't think that is what he means, i.e. we don't have any physical spring to be totally massless. By M = 0 I think he means an infinitesimal mass, say of order epsilon, though. He should specify..

Nugatory said:
we're applying a non-zero force to a zero mass and that situation is unphysical

I was thinking about another possibility, but as we are in classical physics you are right.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state where an object is at rest and has no net forces acting on it. In other words, the object is not accelerating or moving.

2. What is a massless spring?

A massless spring is a theoretical spring with no mass. In reality, all springs have some mass, but for calculations and simplification, the mass of the spring is assumed to be negligible compared to the mass of the object it is attached to.

3. How does a massless spring behave in static equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, a massless spring will be at its natural length, meaning it is neither stretched nor compressed. This is because there is no net force acting on the spring, so it does not experience any deformation.

4. What is the relationship between mass and vibration in a massless spring?

A massless spring does not have any mass, so it does not contribute to the overall mass of the system. Therefore, the mass of the object attached to the spring is the only factor that affects the vibration of the system.

5. How does vibration affect the static equilibrium of a massless spring?

Vibration can disrupt the static equilibrium of a massless spring if the frequency and amplitude of the vibration are great enough to cause the spring to stretch or compress. In this case, the spring will no longer be in its natural length and the system will no longer be in static equilibrium.