Vicente Fox on Blacks: The role of racism in illegal immigration

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Vicente Fox's recent comments about the US immigration policy are terrible and hypocritical. Mexicans of native ancestry can and do discriminate against those of mixed ancestry, and the influx of uneducated and unemployed immigrants is a threat to the quality of life in US cities.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It has long seemed that part of the illegal Mexican immigration problem here in the US is rooted in racism in Mexico. I find it striking that nearly all illegal immigrants from Mexico are of either of Aztec or Inca [dark skin], and not Spanish descent. The following quote from the former President of Mexico [Spanish descent] doesn’t help to dispel this notion.

"There is no doubt that Mexicans, filled with dignity, willingness and ability to work, are doing jobs that not even blacks want to do there in the United States."
- Vicente Fox
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/14/fox.jackson/index.html

Did we forget our self for just a moment, Mr. President?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fox has a lot of nerve. I guess you heard his latest comments about the "http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j37s7Ts6Iv0Q7W4nHKVK_b5otJPQD8S5D6V80" deciding the immigration policies in the U.S. Here's my favorite quote from that:

"To be so repressive isn't democractic or free ... to be putting up fences, chasing Mexicans, that isn't right," Fox said. "The U.S. needs better answers than repression, weapons and violence."

Yes, that's absolutely awful, isn't it? Except when http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/mexico/entries/2007/10/08/immigration_advocates_mexico_c.html- then it's OK! :mad:

The open borders people are desperately trying to paint this as a racism issue on our part, and of course that is a factor for some people who are racist. On the part of many Mexicans it may well be a problem of their own racism [does Cortez still run Mexico?], but for me the concerns are practical ones. As I'm sure that you have, MIH, I have seen what the unregulated mass influx of immigrants can do to a city.

It does no one any good to overload the educational, medical, and public systems, to the point of failure, which is exactly what happens. Perhaps people like Fox should consider how Mexico might fix Mexico, and quit blaming the US for their problems; many of which result from a long history of Mexican corruption and racism.

Last edited:
There's racism against black mexican citizens . I had a black friend who resides in mexico who told me he is pulled over by the mexican police frequently to recite the mexican national anthem , just to prove his citizenship .

Having lived in Mexico for twenty years, I can tell you that racism is a considerable issue there. It's a lot more subtle than you'd find it in most countries, but it's very real.

The majority of Mexicans are what is called mestizos, of combined European-Native ancestry. That means you find a continuous range of skin tones and physical features going all the way from the Caucasian archetype to what you'd expect of an ancient Aztec.

Probably from purely historical reasons, upper-class Mexicans are predominantly closer to the Caucasian archetype. In northern Mexico, Jewish and Arab ancestry are abundant in the elite as well. This had led to a sort of ill-formed paradigm that there is something inferior in having native features. What's worse, even people who are very clearly of native ancestry may discriminate against those who are slightly more visibly so ("I'm not white, but I'm whiter than you.") I believe it's even used to internally justify the treatment given to illegal Central Americans at the southern border. It's a very sad issue.

Back on topic, while I do not agree with the border fence, Fox is being a hypocrite with his comment about violence. It's absolutely true that the same happens in reverse at the southern Mexican border.

Last edited:
The best argument in favor to open borders I have heard is the libertarian one: to hire and be hired is a individual free choice, and governments must not interfere in it. Ask Ayn Rand.

The worst argument is that you are talking about, the Fox's argument and actually the always present argument. "Americans are bad because they don't want to share their wealth with us" Oh selfishness!

There is a sort of economic blindness in we Mexicans, about the origin of wealth. United States is seen a a sort of "El Dorado" magic place, where you can collect gold from the street.

United States is wealthier than Mexico because is a technologically more advanced than Mexico. This is a statement that any Mexican would deny. "They are wealthier because they stole us. Steal them back is a virtue".

A lot of my fellow graduates of electrical engineer are not able even to solve a simple circuit. When they go to work to United States, they must work in McDonalds and not as an engineer. Why? "Because American are racists" When I ask them about taking the EIT test they are surprised to learn the existence of EIT or PE, and that having a degree is not enough in U.S.A. to be regarded as an engineer. However, after they are fully informed, they said: "oh, no, I cannot do that, it is too hard, I would need to study AGAIN". They say it as if study is something you only do when you are younger than 25, and finished the ordeal, you will never do again.

Once I talked to a teen boy who has just finished middle school in Mexico. They called him "El Mudo". I asked him "what high school are you going". He said to me "I don't need to go to High School, I have a green card". When Fox or Calderon lobby for a more open border, I always remember "El Mudo" and think that any stuff that make you feel that education is not necessary is a coarse. Could Obama a issue a "Mudo Law"? Any permanent resident who fails in getting a High School Diploma losses the Green Card.

The way to go out our problems in Mexico is and always will be education. But in Mexico, most think that education is a piece of paper. Maybe they are true because here, in practice, a fake piece of paper is indistinguishable of a real one. But if we want to change things, we need real knowledge and for this, we need to step down from the cloud we are now. And yes, stop blaming the Americans for everything what is wrong.

Last edited:
Lydia said:
Could Obama a issue a "Mudo Law"? Any permanent resident who fails in getting a High School Diploma losses the Green Card.
It would be a rather unpopular move. As is many hispanics living in my area primarily blame the lack of educational success of their children on the schools because of english being the default language. They say that their children can not succeed because they do not understand and speak english well enough and the schools do not have enough ESL (Eglish as a Second Language) classes and teachers. To some degree they are right though I think that they blow the issue out of proportion.

Fox is a professional stupid. Period.

BTW. He's from German - Spaniard heritage. So he just can't say things like these.

1. What did Vicente Fox say about blacks and illegal immigration?

Vicente Fox, the former president of Mexico, made a controversial statement in 2005 where he suggested that the reason for illegal immigration from Mexico to the United States is because "Mexican men and women are doing the work that not even blacks want to do in the United States."

2. Is Vicente Fox's statement racist?

Many people view Vicente Fox's statement as racist because it implies that black people in the United States are not willing to do certain types of work. However, Fox has denied that his statement was intended to be racist and has apologized for any offense caused.

3. Did Vicente Fox address the role of racism in illegal immigration?

In his statement, Vicente Fox did not specifically address the role of racism in illegal immigration. However, his comment has sparked discussions about the underlying issues and factors that contribute to illegal immigration, including systemic racism and economic inequality.

4. What is the current situation with illegal immigration from Mexico to the United States?

The number of illegal immigrants from Mexico to the United States has decreased in recent years, with tighter border security and changes in Mexican economic and social conditions being cited as possible reasons. However, illegal immigration is still a complex and ongoing issue.

5. How has Vicente Fox's statement impacted the conversation about racism and illegal immigration?

Vicente Fox's statement sparked a debate about the intersection of race and illegal immigration. It has also brought attention to the need for more open and honest discussions about the underlying issues that contribute to illegal immigration, including racism and economic inequality.