From Video Games to Science: My Journey of Learning and Discovery

• Thread starter gibberingmouther
  • Start date
In summary, my journey of learning and discovery began with my love for video games, which sparked my interest in science and technology. As I delved deeper into the world of gaming, I became fascinated with the technical aspects behind it and started exploring various scientific concepts. This led me to pursue a degree in computer science and opened up opportunities for me to work in the exciting field of game development. Through this journey, I have not only gained a deeper understanding of science and technology, but also honed my problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Overall, my passion for video games has led me to a fulfilling career in the world of science and innovation.
gibberingmouther
gibberingmouther is my name I've used on the Unity forums and other game dev related accounts. I've been working on a game for the last 6 years with a working title of "The City of Scales".

here is my site: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

on my site i have my game's soundtrack plus a random Dragon Ball related game rules supplement i wrote.

i have been taking a break from programming my game. I'm having way more fun than i ever did working on that game learning physics, math, and electronics. i started out tying to learn the math to understand maxwell's equations. then more recently i decided to start working through a physics textbook i own. i am just about finished with chapter 8 in that book.

so I've already posted here a bit but i thought i'd introduce myself. partly with the intent of telling more people about my game. i don't even care that much about it anymore, but i still do kind of want to finish it ... i think it's worth finishing.

Physics news on Phys.org
gibberingmouther said:
so I've already posted here a bit but i thought i'd introduce myself. partly with the intent of telling more people about my game.

We're glad to have you if you want to learn more about science or engineering. Be careful not to cross the line. Promoting your game might violate our rule about advertising or self-promotion. See our guidelines.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/#post-66018

Likes gibberingmouther
anorlunda said:
We're glad to have you if you want to learn more about science or engineering. Be careful not to cross the line. Promoting your game might violate our rule about advertising or self-promotion. See our guidelines.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/#post-66018

thanks for the warning! i don't care about advertising my game here ... i only mentioned it because it's relevant to telling my story. i doubt i'll even have cause to mention it again on these forums.

i don't plan on selling my game but i was going to use it on my resume to try and start a career as a game programmer.

however, i realized not too long ago that i prefer the sciences to programming video games. so maybe some day i could write apps for scientists? right now I'm learning math/physics/electronics because it brings me joy. i don't know how I'm going to use this understanding in the future, besides to help me with classes i still have to take, but it doesn't *feel* like a waste of time. i'll see where it takes me i guess!