Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vinegar battery

  1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    I tried making a vinegar batter with aluminum and copper today and can't light up a small light bulb but I'm not sure why. Is it because the current is too small or it is because the vinegar has a high internal resistance? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

    Chi Meson

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    It depends on the bulb. What is the intended voltage of the bulb? You want a bulb intended for a flashlight that uses 1 battery; that is a 1.5V bulb. Your vinnegar battery produces less than a full volt of potential difference, so even with a low volt bulb, it will glow very dimly.

    Note: the indicated power (wattage) of the bulb will not help you since the actual power dissipated by the bulb depends on the voltage of the battery.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: Vinegar battery
  1. Polluting Batteries (Replies: 30)

  2. 1001 uses for vinegar (Replies: 10)

  3. Lead in vinegar warning (Replies: 50)

  4. Sugar Batteries (Replies: 13)

Loading...