How Does VIS-NIR Reflectance Linearity Vary in Mixed Color Pigments?

In summary, the reflectance readings in the VIS and NIR regions represent specific physical properties of the atoms. The linear unmixing typically uses the entire spectrum of interest and finds the best admixture of pigments to RMS fit the desired spectrum when all colors wavelength are included. There is no reason certain colors cannot be excluded...again it depends upon exactly what you wish to accomplish.
XonDoi
Hi everyone,

I am a student studying color pigment fingerprints and how we can improve their identification. Especially in cases where these are mixed with each other to create variants. We are using the VIS and NIR regions (400-1000nm) to obtain our observations. I have a few questions regarding the physics behind the reflectance (at molecular level) in these regions:

1. In the VIS and NIR regions, do the reflectance readings represent specific physical properties of the atoms? For example, I've read that in the NIR region reflectance is caused by vibration overtones. What causes these reflections in the VIS region?

2. The second question might be a bit off topic. When two pure elements - say pigment blue and pigment green - are mixed together, linear unmixing can be used to estimate the ratio of the elements in the mixture. There is some linearity (not taking into consideration scattering... etc). Is this linearity equal throughout the entire range being observed (400-1000nm)? Or are certain areas like absorbance/reflectance bands in VIS region more linear than others (NIR regions).

I'd appreciate any insight especially that which can be sourced/cited.

Science news on Phys.org
You are seeking simple answers where I am afraid there are none.
(1) there are many various processes that scatter NIR and more processes that scatter visible.
(2) the linear unmixing typically uses the entire spectrum of interest and finds the best admixture of pigments to RMS fit the desired spectrum when all colors wavelength are included. There is no reason certain colors cannot be excluded...again it depends upon exactly what you wish to accomplish.

You need to be much more specific. This is an old and very well investigated field of study. Perhaps you should start be looking into metamerism

hutchphd said:
(1) there are many various processes that scatter NIR and more processes that scatter visible.

Hello, could you name any of these processes such that I could look into them?

Also my original question, if rotational spectroscopy is used for the Far-IR, rotational-vibrational in the Long-IR, Vibration overtones in the Near-IR... What causes these reflections in the visible region?

I am not a graduate in physics and hence my knowledge in this field is limited to the basics

Many of the processes at the energy of visible light involve the transition of electrons between allowed energy levels within atoms.

Likes XonDoi
XonDoi said:
1. In the VIS and NIR regions, do the reflectance readings represent specific physical properties of the atoms? For example, I've read that in the NIR region reflectance is caused by vibration overtones. What causes these reflections in the VIS region?

For condensed matter (liquid and solid pigment), not really- there is indeed absorption and reflection, but the absorption band is not a single frequency. The specific hue of a specific pigment depends on the detailed chemistry used and the enormity of the field 'pigment chemistry' can't be overstated:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14356007.a20_243.pub3

XonDoi said:
2. The second question might be a bit off topic. When two pure elements - say pigment blue and pigment green - are mixed together, linear unmixing can be used to estimate the ratio of the elements in the mixture. There is some linearity (not taking into consideration scattering... etc). Is this linearity equal throughout the entire range being observed (400-1000nm)? Or are certain areas like absorbance/reflectance bands in VIS region more linear than others (NIR regions).

Again, there is no simple answer to this- the perceived color hue of a particular pigment depends on the spectral reflectance across the entire visible spectrum; there is no reason to assume that two different pigments have similar, shifted, reflectance spectra. Also, depending on the chemical formulation, those two different pigments may have the same binder- for example, it turns out that all US military paint has a spectral feature around 9.8 um (IIRC) while Russian paint has a spectral feature around 10 um (IIRC), regardless of the visible color appearance.

The fields you are asking to learn more about are 'colorimetry' and 'spectrophotometry'.

Does this help?

Likes jim mcnamara and hutchphd

What is VIS-NIR reflectance linearity?

VIS-NIR reflectance linearity refers to the relationship between the intensity of light reflected from a sample and the concentration of the analyte in the sample, in the visible to near-infrared (VIS-NIR) range of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Why is VIS-NIR reflectance linearity important?

VIS-NIR reflectance linearity is important because it allows for accurate and precise quantitative analysis of samples. It is particularly useful in fields such as agriculture, food science, and environmental science where rapid and non-destructive measurements are needed.

What factors can affect VIS-NIR reflectance linearity?

The main factors that can affect VIS-NIR reflectance linearity include the composition and physical properties of the sample, the wavelength range used for measurement, and the instrument used for analysis. Other factors such as sample preparation and measurement conditions can also have an impact.

How is VIS-NIR reflectance linearity measured?

VIS-NIR reflectance linearity is typically measured by collecting reflectance spectra from a series of samples with known concentrations of the analyte. The data is then analyzed to determine the relationship between reflectance and concentration, which can be expressed as a calibration curve or regression equation.

Can VIS-NIR reflectance linearity be improved?

Yes, VIS-NIR reflectance linearity can be improved by carefully selecting the wavelength range for measurement, optimizing sample preparation techniques, and using appropriate data analysis methods. Additionally, regular instrument maintenance and calibration can help to ensure accurate and linear measurements.