Visualising transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation H = H1 * H2 * H3, where H1 represents reflection about the line y = x + 1, H2 represents counterclockwise rotation of pi/2 about the point (1,0), and H3 represents translation by 1 - i. The question is asking for the image of a triangle and arrow under this transformation. The speaker is struggling to visualize the rotation about (1,0) and is looking for tips to better understand this type of rotation.
lemonthree
Given that
\(\displaystyle
H_{1} \)= reflection about the line y = x + 1;
\(\displaystyle H_{2} \)= counterclockwise rotation of pi/2 about the point (1,0);
\(\displaystyle H_{3} \)= translation by 1 - i.
What is the image of the triangle and arrow under the map \(\displaystyle H = H_{1} *H_{2} * H_{3} \)?

I need help visualising the above transformation H. I know that \(\displaystyle H = H_{1} *H_{2} * H_{3} \), so we must perform the transformations from right to left (H3 first, then H2, and lastly H1). Now, in a question that provides the equation for \(\displaystyle H_{1},H_{2} , H_{3} \), I believe I can solve this by substituting the values into \(\displaystyle H_{1},H_{2} , H_{3} \) respectively. However, in this case, the question does not provide the equation and it is up to my visualisation.

I have attached photos showing my steps for each respectively. I have no trouble with translation (H3) as it is relatively easy to visualise.
However, I struggle a little for the rotation about (1,0). I can't quite visualise "pivoting" the arrow and triangle about (1,0)...I would like to ask for some tips to aid in visualising such rotations better.

Attachments

• original.png
    original.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 48
  • H3.png
    H3.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 55
  • H2.png
    H2.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 62
  • H1.png
    H1.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 50
  • answer.JPG
    answer.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 46
Physics news on Phys.org
Red triangle shows the correct rotation of $\dfrac{\pi}{2}$ CCW. Yours appears to be in the CW direction.

54E20B4D-C6B8-4531-B74B-74F50F2F0EB6.jpeg

1. What is visualising transformations?

Visualising transformations is the process of creating a visual representation of how an object or system changes or moves over time. This can include changes in shape, position, size, or other properties.

2. Why is visualising transformations important in science?

Visualising transformations allows scientists to better understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena. It can also help to communicate scientific concepts and findings to a wider audience.

3. What techniques are used for visualising transformations?

There are various techniques used for visualising transformations, including computer simulations, graphs, diagrams, and physical models. Each technique may be more suitable for different types of transformations and scientific disciplines.

4. How can visualising transformations aid in scientific research?

Visualising transformations can aid in scientific research by providing a way to test and validate hypotheses, identify patterns and relationships, and make predictions about future behavior. It can also help to identify errors or inconsistencies in data.

5. What are some real-world applications of visualising transformations?

Visualising transformations has a wide range of real-world applications in fields such as physics, biology, chemistry, engineering, and more. It is used to study and understand natural phenomena, design new technologies, and make informed decisions in various industries.