Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitamin C plus alcohol?

  1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    I had 2 caps of 500mg ascorbic vit C and in just about 10mins or so I took out a bottle of 6% alcoholic beverage from the fridge and almost halfway I realised I might be doin' somethin' wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

    Alcohol depletes vitamin C, but one beer isn't going to do it so much that you need a supplement. They also don't really interact with each other, so you shouldn't have drug interactions, what exactly is happening that you think there is something wrong?

    Vitamin C is also water soluble, so you can't really overdose on it (well, you can, but not from a normal dose.) Vitamin C is commonly taken with alcohol, I can recall many college mornings waking up with a hangover and a gatorade / multivitamin.
  4. Apr 14, 2016 #3
    That's a relief, never did it before so I'm feeling a little paranoid, thanks NJrunner!
  5. Apr 14, 2016 #4
    Only 6% alcoholic beverage and 1000 mg of vit C won't put you in danger at all.
    Based on this reference, you can check how much your acid's solubility is
    Green peas, citric acid, ascorbic acid etc are good candidates for ethanol clearance in our blood stream.
    (basic though, e.g R-COOH+HO-C2H5 -> water + ester, which is no longer chemically functioning as a harmful agent present in our body)
  6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    Hi Pepper Mint! Esterification will not occur in the stomach or intestinal tract. While the pH is acidic enough in the stomach, the temps aren't sufficient to overcome Eactivation. The only way to clear alcohol from the blood stream is through enzymatic oxidation. Ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde via ethanol dehydrogenase, and acetaldehyde is converted to acetic acid via acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. The acetic acid can be eliminated through the urinary tract, or taken up in the acetyl Co A cycle. Ascorbic acid is a good free radical trap for any acetaldehyde free radicals, but that's it. Also bear in mind the reaction kinetics are of second order in reactants. Too much acetaldehyde built up in the system slows down the final oxidation step. This is what produces hangovers.
  7. Apr 14, 2016 #6


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Yeah, it's called a Screw Driver.
  8. Apr 15, 2016 #7
    Yes cancer is definitely related (acetaldehyde is a toxic carcinogen).
    Thank you for your correction, you are right about alcohol metabolism. Still I think the alcohol intake as mentioned by OP (a bottle of beverage) can't get neutralized easily and all by HCl present in our stomach, the remaining ethanol molecules will interact with other acidic substances in our body and get eliminated along with other acetaldehyde molecules after being further broken down into acetate then carbon dioxide and water. And to add a little that our hangover after we take some alcoholic beverages is caused by these acetaldehyde free radicals that are trapped with our receptors and inhibitors in our brain circuitry.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  9. Apr 15, 2016 #8
    True but I think I may need to include this link, otherwise some readers may get confused. :biggrin:
  10. Apr 15, 2016 #9
    Many Many alcoholic beverages are made with orange juice and orange liquor. Vc and alcohol go together like peas and carrots.
  11. Apr 15, 2016 #10
    I'm so overwhelmed by all your inputs I can't help but read them over and over... Thanks everyone. I'm learning a lot.
  12. Apr 15, 2016 #11
    As a cautionary tail: things you do want to avoid are any CNS depressants (prescription medications). These are easily Identified by warning labels on the side of the package or bottle and patient information leaflet.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted