Vitamin C plus alcohol?

• Thread starter pixie_elle
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I had 2 caps of 500mg ascorbic vit C and in just about 10mins or so I took out a bottle of 6% alcoholic beverage from the fridge and almost halfway I realised I might be doin' somethin' wrong?

Answers and Replies

So?

Alcohol depletes vitamin C, but one beer isn't going to do it so much that you need a supplement. They also don't really interact with each other, so you shouldn't have drug interactions, what exactly is happening that you think there is something wrong?

Vitamin C is also water soluble, so you can't really overdose on it (well, you can, but not from a normal dose.) Vitamin C is commonly taken with alcohol, I can recall many college mornings waking up with a hangover and a gatorade / multivitamin.

So?

Alcohol depletes vitamin C, but one beer isn't going to do it so much that you need a supplement. They also don't really interact with each other, so you shouldn't have drug interactions, what exactly is happening that you think there is something wrong?
That's a relief, never did it before so I'm feeling a little paranoid, thanks NJrunner!

I had 2 caps of 500mg ascorbic vit C and in just about 10mins or so I took out a bottle of 6% alcoholic beverage from the fridge and almost halfway I realised I might be doin' somethin' wrong?
Only 6% alcoholic beverage and 1000 mg of vit C won't put you in danger at all.
Based on this reference, you can check how much your acid's solubility is
The solubility in g/mL is 0.33 in water, 0.033 in 95 wt% ethanol, 0.02 in absolute ethanol
Green peas, citric acid, ascorbic acid etc are good candidates for ethanol clearance in our blood stream.
(basic though, e.g R-COOH+HO-C2H5 -> water + ester, which is no longer chemically functioning as a harmful agent present in our body)

Green peas, citric acid, ascorbic acid etc are good candidates for ethanol clearance in our blood stream.
(basic though, e.g R-COOH+HO-C2H5 -> water + ester, which is no longer chemically functioning as a harmful agent present in our body)

Hi Pepper Mint! Esterification will not occur in the stomach or intestinal tract. While the pH is acidic enough in the stomach, the temps aren't sufficient to overcome Eactivation. The only way to clear alcohol from the blood stream is through enzymatic oxidation. Ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde via ethanol dehydrogenase, and acetaldehyde is converted to acetic acid via acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. The acetic acid can be eliminated through the urinary tract, or taken up in the acetyl Co A cycle. Ascorbic acid is a good free radical trap for any acetaldehyde free radicals, but that's it. Also bear in mind the reaction kinetics are of second order in reactants. Too much acetaldehyde built up in the system slows down the final oxidation step. This is what produces hangovers.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Vitamin C is commonly taken with alcohol, ...
Yeah, it's called a Screw Driver.

Yes, mixing even moderate amounts of vitamin C and alcohol will give you cancer and AIDS and you will probably die.
Yes cancer is definitely related (acetaldehyde is a toxic carcinogen).
Hi Pepper Mint! Esterification will not occur in the stomach or intestinal tract. While the pH is acidic enough in the stomach, the temps aren't sufficient to overcome Eactivation. The only way to clear alcohol from the blood stream is through enzymatic oxidation. Ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde via ethanol dehydrogenase, and acetaldehyde is converted to acetic acid via acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. The acetic acid can be eliminated through the urinary tract, or taken up in the acetyl Co A cycle. Ascorbic acid is a good free radical trap for any acetaldehyde free radicals, but that's it. Also bear in mind the reaction kinetics are of second order in reactants. Too much acetaldehyde built up in the system slows down the final oxidation step. This is what produces hangovers.
Thank you for your correction, you are right about alcohol metabolism. Still I think the alcohol intake as mentioned by OP (a bottle of beverage) can't get neutralized easily and all by HCl present in our stomach, the remaining ethanol molecules will interact with other acidic substances in our body and get eliminated along with other acetaldehyde molecules after being further broken down into acetate then carbon dioxide and water. And to add a little that our hangover after we take some alcoholic beverages is caused by these acetaldehyde free radicals that are trapped with our receptors and inhibitors in our brain circuitry.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's called a Screw Driver.
True but I think I may need to include this link, otherwise some readers may get confused. :biggrin:

Many Many alcoholic beverages are made with orange juice and orange liquor. Vc and alcohol go together like peas and carrots.

I'm so overwhelmed by all your inputs I can't help but read them over and over... Thanks everyone. I'm learning a lot.

As a cautionary tail: things you do want to avoid are any CNS depressants (prescription medications). These are easily Identified by warning labels on the side of the package or bottle and patient information leaflet.