Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volage multiplier questions

1. May 19, 2014 #1
    have a few questions about designing a voltage multiplier. lets say I want 1kv output from 9v battery source.
    - do all the caps have to be electrolytic caps?
    - how to choose what caps to use?
    - how to choose what diodes to use?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2014 #2

as far as i know you can use any type of capacitor you want. the value might be different though.

and you can also use small transformer to do this. first use a switching circuit consisting of transistor and caps to make it AC then feed it into a transformer of proper number of turns. the current will be really small but you should get around 1kv.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  4. May 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks, I wasnt sure if electrolytic capacitors had to be used, because that is all I see people using. I would consider stepping up the voltage through a tranfromer before supplying voltage to the multiplier, but is what i dont know is voltage ratings for the diodes and capacitors. or does that even matter?

5. May 23, 2014 #4
    that should matter, you can check datasheet of any product to find out its max ratings.

6. May 24, 2014 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

on the HV output side, you should be using disc ceramic capacitors with the appropriate HV ratings
    you are not likely to easily find electrolytics with voltage rating at anything over a few 100 volts ( up to ~ 500V are common and often used in SMPS's.
    But you need ones rated at several kV and that's why you use the appropriate rated disc ceramics

I'm a little concerned that if you don't understand the basics like that, should you really be playing with HV ?
    please be very careful !

Dave

7. May 24, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. May 27, 2014 #7
    I appreciate the concerns. I am an electronics technician and have taken plenty of classes on the safety side of high voltage, the highest voltage I work with is about 270V DC. I have built a voltage multiplier in school with smaller potential, but they did not go into detail with it at all, it was just a quick lab. of corse I would limit the current to as low as a few mA to higher micro . definately wouldnt use mains, I plan on using a DC source and oscillator to a step up transformer. I do want to experiment with the high potential side of electronics. I dont plan on jumping straight into a circuit with that high amount of voltages just yet. I would like to practice and gradually get to the fun stuff with high respect to safety. the reason I was asking about the electrolytics is because I have never seen anything over 500V rating, but yet all i have seen is people using electrolytics, but any schematic I have seen, has never shown polarized caps. I guess my main question was do the ratings of the components need to be higher than the output? again thanks for any answers also I appreciate the concerns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook