1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage and electric field in circuits

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    Let's say I have a closed circuit with 1 resistor. Lets say the EMF is between points c and a, the resistor between points a and b, and then between b and c there is nothing but the circuit wire. According to my textbook, the voltage at c is V1, increases by EMF to V2, where V2 = V1+EMF, and then V2 decreases by IR to return to V1 which implies that IR = EMF.

I understand all this. I understand that the voltage must return to V1 after completing the loop. But as you move along the wire where the voltage is a constant V1, deltaV must be 0 which implies that E must be 0 along the circuit path as deltaV is the work done by E. But since a current exists and is the same throughout the circuit, this implies that E must exist. So my question is how can deltaV be zero but the E not be 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

It is becuase potential difference between the points b and c in this case is the integral of the electric field E:

[tex]V_b - V_c = \int_b ^c E \cdot d\mathbf{l}[/tex]

What happens when we evaluate an integral whose limits are the same?

4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    umm... b and c aren't the same points. The whole wire between b and c are at the same potential but the electric field between them is not 0.

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

I did not say that b and c were the same points. If the whole wire between b and c is at the same potential, therefore Vb - Vc = 0. This means that Vb = Vc, hence the limits of the integral are the same.

6. Mar 5, 2007 #5
    if the limits are the same, that implies that the integral is 0, but E can still be nonzero as the limits are the same, right? I think I got it. Thanks a lot!

7. Mar 5, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

Yup, you've got got it. And you're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?