1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage difference = Infinity?

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    Voltage difference = Infinity???

So if there was a Q Coulomb point charge and a -Q Coulomb point charge with X meters of separation, and I wanted to find the voltage difference between those two charges...
    How would I do it?

Since V = kq/r + kq/r in this case, wouldn't I have to divide by 0?

V = Qk/X + -Qk/0

Or to avoid the problem, I just made it REALLY close to the charge, like:

V = Qk/X + -Qk/.0000001

Then I'd get some obscenely large number for the voltage for BOTH sides... But I know I'm missing something pretty major here. The potential difference shouldn't be that huge.

The reason I want to know is because I'd like to know how to calculate a battery's voltage by knowing just the charges without using capacitor equations.
    But I really can't figure this one thing out...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Voltage difference = Infinity???

I'm not sure you are using the right equations. First, a battery isn't a capacitor, so why would you use the capacitor equations? The two are very different.

Second, I really don't know the math, so if I'm mistaken I apologize, but googling V = kq/r + kq/r gives me stuff on charged spheres, not point charges. (Edit: Further googling says I'm probably wrong, so just ignore this if it's true)

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3

Oh, I assumed a battery was like a capacitor in that it was just two terminals with opposite charges, like capacitor plates. Okay then, scrap that.

But yeah, V = kq/r is applicable to point charges.
    I wanted to stay away from charged spheres for simplicity's sake.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Nope, a battery generates its voltage from chemical reactions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochemical_cell

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook