Voltage drop across a resistor in a circuit

In summary, the problem involves three batteries and four resistors connected in a loop. The goal is to find the voltage drop across the top left resistor, which can be done by using loop laws to find the current and then applying Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drop. Despite initial doubts, it turns out that the process is as straightforward as multiplying the current by the value of the resistor.
pcml100

Homework Statement

Three batteries and four resistors are connected in a loop as shown (see attachment).

What is the voltage drop across the top left resistor?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part 3 of the 3 questions for this problem. On the other two I found the current of the loop and the voltage across points a and b.

I think that all I need to do here is multiply IR (R being the value of that resistor) but that just seems too easy. Do I have to subtract it from the total voltage for the circuit or something?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do is use loop laws to find the current, and then you can find the voltage drop over the resistor using Ohm's law.

Ok. I already found the current in the circuit and I assumed that I needed to use Ohm's Law to find the voltage drop, but my question is whether I just multiply the current in the loop by the value for the specific resistor and that's it, or if I have to do something after that step?

That's it.

Awesome. Just seemed too easy so I thought maybe something else was going on. Thank you

1. What is voltage drop across a resistor?

Voltage drop across a resistor refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when an electric current flows through a resistor in a circuit. This decrease in voltage is caused by the resistance of the material the current is passing through.

2. How is voltage drop across a resistor calculated?

Voltage drop across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In equation form, it is written as V = IR.

3. What factors affect the voltage drop across a resistor?

The voltage drop across a resistor is affected by the resistance of the material, the current flowing through the resistor, and the temperature of the material. Higher resistance and higher current will result in a larger voltage drop, while higher temperatures can increase or decrease the voltage drop depending on the material.

4. Why is voltage drop across a resistor important?

Voltage drop across a resistor is important because it helps to regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit. It can also be used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit, making it a crucial component in many electrical devices.

5. What are some common applications of voltage drop across a resistor?

Voltage drop across a resistor is used in a variety of applications, including in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, power distribution systems, and electric motors. It is also used in circuit protection devices, such as fuses and circuit breakers, to prevent damage from excess current.