Voltage drop difference in closed and open circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of voltage drops in closed circuits to calculate power and current, and how the voltage and current are equal in each resistor. The conversation also explores how the voltage drops in an open circuit may change in every resistor and the difference between potential difference and voltage. The difference between two circuits with different connections for voltmeters is also mentioned.
iser777
So the voltage drops across closed circuits I get that is P = V^2/R to get the power and then you will use P=I^2/R to get the current running through the circuit and in the case the current flowing through the closed circuit is equal in every resistor and so is the voltage drop. The part that I don't get is how come the voltage drop in an open circuit would change in every resistor? and is the current changing in every resistor as well?

Attachments

• Closed circuit.png
    Closed circuit.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 765
  • Open Circuit.png
    Open Circuit.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 822
Physics news on Phys.org
iser777 said:
So the voltage drops across closed circuits I get that is P = V^2/R to get the power and then you will use P=I^2/R to get the current running through the circuit and in the case the current flowing through the closed circuit is equal in every resistor and so is the voltage drop. The part that I don't get is how come the voltage drop in an open circuit would change in every resistor? and is the current changing in every resistor as well?

In the second example, you have not so much an open circuit as a set-up with repeated reference to the Earth point. The Volt meters are not connected to measure just across a single resistor; rather from a point on one side of the resistor, all the way to Earth.

So, how would I go about solving for the voltage drops? in the specific circuit?

Which voltage drop(s) are you trying to solve for ?

iser777 said:
So, how would I go about solving for the voltage drops? in the specific circuit?

Has anyone ever asked you your meterage or footage, or you poundage?

I think not, they would normally ask your height and weight, and not include the units in the description.

My point is that people often refer to the Potential Difference as the Voltage - presumably because PD is measured in Volts.
At least you had the good sense to say Voltage Drop.

But what you are after is the Potential difference.

Because each Voltmeter had one terminal connected to Earth, the reading is the Electric Potential of the point the other terminal is connected to - since Earth is defined as zero Volts.

The difference between the potential to one side of a resistor, and the Potential to the other side of that resistor IS the Potential difference.
We generally accept that there is no Potential Difference across the hook-up wires, so when two resistors are connected by a wire, the Potential at each end of the wire is the same - so the Potential at the end of one resistor may be the same as the potential at the start of the next one.

The one for the open circuit picture

iser777 said:
The one for the open circuit picture

The only difference between the two circuits is the way the Volt meters are connected.

In Circuit 1, they are connected across 1 resistor each.
In Circuit 2, they are connected across 1 only, two combined and all three combined resistors.

1. What is voltage drop and how does it differ in closed and open circuits?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when current flows through a circuit. In a closed circuit, the voltage drop occurs across the circuit components, such as resistance, while in an open circuit, there is no current flow and therefore no voltage drop.

2. How does the voltage drop affect the overall circuit performance?

The voltage drop can affect the performance of a circuit by decreasing the amount of voltage available to power the components. This can lead to reduced efficiency or even failure of the circuit if the voltage drop is too significant.

3. What factors influence the voltage drop in a closed circuit?

The voltage drop in a closed circuit is influenced by the amount of current flowing through the circuit, the resistance of the circuit components, and the length and thickness of the wires or conductors used in the circuit.

4. Can voltage drop be measured in both closed and open circuits?

Yes, voltage drop can be measured in both closed and open circuits using a voltmeter. In a closed circuit, the voltmeter is connected across the circuit components to measure the voltage drop, while in an open circuit, the voltmeter will show the full voltage of the power supply.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced in a closed circuit?

To reduce voltage drop in a closed circuit, the length of the wires can be shortened, thicker wires can be used, and components with lower resistance can be chosen. Additionally, using a power supply with a higher voltage can also help reduce voltage drop.