Voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet

In summary, a dynamic microphone converts sound waves and electric signals by converting them to voltages. You will need to measure the voltages in order to find the relationships between amplitudes and frequencies.
V0ODO0CH1LD
Can I get the voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet as a function of the frequency and amplitude of the vibration (given all necessary informations about the coil and magnet)? What would that function be? Also, what information about the coil and magnet would be sufficient and necessary to make this voltage a function of just the amplitude and frequency of the vibration?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to know the magnetic field produced by the magnet so you can calculate how the flux changes through your coil.
The voltage will be a function of time. The amplitude will depend on the frequency and amplitude of vibration as well as the magnetic field . And geometry of the coil, too.

I was actually wondering about the rate of conversion between amplitudes and frequencies of sound waves and electric signals when the conversion is done by a dynamic microphone. Like if I was talking in a certain frequency with a certain amplitude into one of these microphones what would be the voltage measured on the other end (without amplification)? Preferably without talking in terms of decibels, since I want the relationship between frequencies, amplitudes and voltage.. talking in terms of decibels would just be an unnecessary mid-step.

Also, all the information about the magnet and the coil would be that of a magnet and coil inside a regular dynamic microphone (which I can't find references anywhere).

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I was actually wondering about the rate of conversion between amplitudes and frequencies of sound waves and electric signals when the conversion is done by a dynamic microphone.
That rate of conversion should mostly depend on inertia of oscillating masses in the system

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Also, all the information about the magnet and the coil would be that of a magnet and coil inside a regular dynamic microphone (which I can't find references anywhere).
Then I am afraid you will have to measure the voltages in order to find these relationships.
Anyway, it will be probably quite complicated even if you know the fields and you will end up by doing numerical simulations.

1. How is voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet?

When a coil of wire is moved through a magnetic field, it cuts through the lines of magnetic flux, causing an electromagnetic induction. This results in the generation of voltage or an electric current in the coil.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the voltage generated?

The strength of the magnetic field and the voltage generated are directly proportional. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the voltage generated also increases.

3. Does the frequency of the coil's vibration affect the voltage generated?

Yes, the frequency of the coil's vibration does affect the voltage generated. A higher frequency of vibration results in a higher rate of cutting through the magnetic field, leading to a higher voltage generated.

4. Is the direction of the coil's vibration important for generating voltage?

Yes, the direction of the coil's vibration is important for generating voltage. The coil must be perpendicular to the magnetic field in order to effectively cut through the lines of flux and generate voltage.

5. What factors can affect the voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet?

Some factors that can affect the voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet include the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency and direction of the coil's vibration, and the number of turns in the coil. Other external factors such as temperature and resistance can also have an impact on the voltage generated.