1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    Can I get the voltage generated by a vibrating coil around a magnet as a function of the frequency and amplitude of the vibration (given all necessary informations about the coil and magnet)? What would that function be? Also, what information about the coil and magnet would be sufficient and necessary to make this voltage a function of just the amplitude and frequency of the vibration?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2
    You will need to know the magnetic field produced by the magnet so you can calculate how the flux changes through your coil.
    The voltage will be a function of time. The amplitude will depend on the frequency and amplitude of vibration as well as the magnetic field . And geometry of the coil, too.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    I was actually wondering about the rate of conversion between amplitudes and frequencies of sound waves and electric signals when the conversion is done by a dynamic microphone. Like if I was talking in a certain frequency with a certain amplitude into one of these microphones what would be the voltage measured on the other end (without amplification)? Preferably without talking in terms of decibels, since I want the relationship between frequencies, amplitudes and voltage.. talking in terms of decibels would just be an unnecessary mid-step.

Also, all the information about the magnet and the coil would be that of a magnet and coil inside a regular dynamic microphone (which I can't find references anywhere).

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    That rate of conversion should mostly depend on inertia of oscillating masses in the system

6. Nov 27, 2014 #5
    Then I am afraid you will have to measure the voltages in order to find these relationships.
    Anyway, it will be probably quite complicated even if you know the fields and you will end up by doing numerical simulations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook