1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage over a capacitor in a RC-circuit.

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    Why is the voltage over the parallel-connection containing the capacitor Vc= Q/C

It makes a little (intuitive) sense to me, but I would like to see the proof if possible. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you asking...
    1) why is the voltage on the capacitor = Q/C?
    or
    2) why is the voltage on the parallel combination of R and C the same as the voltage on the capacitor alone?

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3
    I'm asking 2.

5. Mar 9, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The voltage must be the same because both components are connected between the same nodes.

6. Mar 9, 2013 #5

Philip Wood

Gold Member

And if you want to know why the voltage must be the same between the same two nodes, the reason is that the only field we're dealing with here is an electric field set up by the charges on the capacitor plates. But an electric field is a conservative field, meaning that if we take a test charge between two points, A and B, in the field, the work done by the field on the charge is the same for whichever route we go from A to B. So the work done on the test charge per unit charge it carries, i.e. the potential difference or voltage, is the same for all routes. In your case the routes of interest are via the capacitor and via the resistor!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook