Voltage over a capacitor in a RC-circuit.

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why is the voltage over the parallel-connection containing the capacitor Vc= Q/C

It makes a little (intuitive) sense to me, but I would like to see the proof if possible. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Why is the voltage over the parallel-connection containing the capacitor Vc= Q/C
Are you asking...
1) why is the voltage on the capacitor = Q/C?
or
2) why is the voltage on the parallel combination of R and C the same as the voltage on the capacitor alone?

I'm asking 2.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The voltage must be the same because both components are connected between the same nodes.

Philip Wood
Gold Member
And if you want to know why the voltage must be the same between the same two nodes, the reason is that the only field we're dealing with here is an electric field set up by the charges on the capacitor plates. But an electric field is a conservative field, meaning that if we take a test charge between two points, A and B, in the field, the work done by the field on the charge is the same for whichever route we go from A to B. So the work done on the test charge per unit charge it carries, i.e. the potential difference or voltage, is the same for all routes. In your case the routes of interest are via the capacitor and via the resistor!