Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage Suppression from 35V - 20V

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    Ok i am a hobbyist and i currently building a circuit in which when i place this on an oscilloscope i am gaining a voltage spike of 38V i need to minimise this spike down to a maximum of 20V in order to protect my external circuitry. When my circuit is working under 20V i need this protective device to have no action thus the circuit as it would. The current in this circuit is a big problem so using resistors in series resulting in less current is not an option.

I have heard that there are protective resistors that can be used or zenner diode circuits. can anybody help me with this?

Regards Daniel Floyd.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a schematic of your circuit?

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    What is the source of your voltage spike?

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4
    Could you use a 20v voltage regulator?

6. Mar 8, 2013 #5
    What you probably need is a TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor).
    One way to get a data sheet on a TVS is to go to either Mouser or Digi-Key and search for TVS. When you are shown data for TVS, select a like one and then ask for a data sheet.
    It may take some searching, but you should be able to locate a TVS that will keep the transient voltage below 20 volt.

Good Luck
    Carl

7. Mar 9, 2013 #6

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look up P6KE24V. It is a zener type device that can REALLY take a beating. Of course it is available in other voltages, the number I gave is a 24 volt device.

8. Mar 10, 2013 #7
    Thank you i will begin my search around a TVS from Mouser I will then post my findings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook