Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Voltmeter cylindrical shell help

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very long insulating cylindrical shell of radius 6.00 cm carries charge of linear density 8.90*10^-6 C/m spread uniformly over its outer surface.
    *What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface of the cylinder and a point 4.70 above the surface. and What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface and a point 1.00 from the central axis of the cylinder?

2. Relevant equations

delta V= ( lemda/ 2pi epslion) (ln(rb/ra))

3. The attempt at a solution
    delta V= ( lemda/ 2pi epslion) (ln(rb/ra))
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    Re: hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp

if you dont show your attempt to solve the question ,no one would be able to help , please show your work even if it is wrong..

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4

I think that the equation you used is applied for charged conducting cylinder, and your question involves cylindrical shell.. so are they the same?

I suggest you try to think if you can somehow relate the question you have to a ring of charge in order to find the voltage..

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5

Guys I reallly thought about it but i have not found an answer can some one solve it.

7. Feb 10, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, this forum does not work that way.
    Where does the 4.5 come from? The point is "4.70 above the surface", but you should use distance to the cylinder's axis in that formula.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook