1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume enclosed by a cone and a plane

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume enclosed by the cone x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    and the plane 2z-y-2=0.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\int\int\int[/itex] dV

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the image Cono=Cone and Plano=Plane

2expuz6.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Problems about integration should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalculus section. I have moved your post.

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3
    I have tried to solve it in a different way but I do not think it is much better. Can anybody help me?

5489c3.png

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For what it's worth, I don't see anything obviously wrong with your work. I entered the ##r,\theta## integral you get into Maple and it just hung trying to solve it. I doubt you are going to find an elementary solution.

6. Apr 21, 2014 #5
    So my first attempt is OK? Because I'm finding troubles with the absolute value of (y) and (-y). I'm not sure if everything I've put is correct.

7. Apr 21, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your rectangular coordinate version. The ##r,\theta## change of variables you used would be the natural way to set it up and that's all I looked at.

8. Apr 21, 2014 #7
    If you do not mind could you please take a look at my rectangular coordinate version?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted