1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Flow Rate in a Pipe for Viscous Fluid

1. Jun 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, my first post here! I have a Thermodynamics resit over the summer and I'm trying to get my head around viscous flow, I'm stuck at a question and need help! Thanks :)

Glycerine discharges to the atmosphere through a circular pipe 100mm in diameter. The gauge pressure 50m from the exit is 458 kPa. Data for glycerine: ρ=1260 kg/m^3, μ=0.9 kg/ms.

Determine the volume flow rate Q for the following cases:
    (i) a horizontal pipe (verify the flow is laminar!) (Ans: 25 litres/s)
    (ii) a pipe inclined upwards by 20° (Ans: 13.5 litres/s)
    (iii) a pipe inclined downwards by 20° (Ans: 36.5 litres/s)

2. Relevant equations

I thought this equation was the right one to use but my answer is totally wrong when I plug the numbers in, it's not a units thing either...

Q = (∏d^4 / 128μ) * (ΔPloss / length)

3. The attempt at a solution

I assumed the gauge pressure at the pipe exit is equal to atm pressure, so 100kPa - is this correct? The rest is just plugging numbers in. Am I missing something obvious here...?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Have you tried using Bernoulli's equation?

4. Jun 30, 2012 #3
    Your formula works. I get 25 for part i. Are you mixing gauge pressure and absolute pressure?

5. Jun 30, 2012 #4
    Hi LawrenceC, yes I think I am! Embarrassing moment, whoops...

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook