1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume in first octant cut off by a plane

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the plane through the point [1,2,2] that cuts off the smallest possible volume in the first octant.

2. Relevant equations

Volume of a pyramid = 1/3Ah

3. The attempt at a solution

The plane is going to cut out a pyramid with the x-, y-, and z-intercepts, so let x, y, and z be the intercepts. Then V = 1/6xyz. But since the plane must go through [1,2,2] and three points define a plane, we can write one of x, y, and z in terms of the other two. Any plane passing through intercepts x, y, and z has a general point [a,b,c] so that:
    a/x + b/y + c/z = 1
    Since [1,2,2] is on the plane, plug that in for [a,b,c]:
    1/x + 2/y + 2/z = 1
    Solve for x (just because I'm guessing that it would be the easiest):
    x = -1/(2y + 2z - 1)
    Now plug that into the volume formula:
    V = -yz/(12y + 12z - 6)

Is this right so far? If not, what did I do wrong? If so, how can I continue?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's ok so far. Now take the partial derivatives dV/dy and dV/dz and set them both to zero. That's two equations in two unknowns.
  4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    All right, so from there I take the partials and I get:

dV/dy = (-12z^2 + 6z)/(12y + 12z - 6)^2
    dV/dz = (-12y^2 + 6y)/(12y + 12z - 6)^2

Setting these equal to zero, I get:

y = z = 0 and y = z = 1/2

However, I know that y and z can't be 0, and if y and z are 1/2, then by my earlier result:

x = -1/(1 + 1 - 1) = -1

I can't have x = -1, because the plane has to intersect the positive x-axis or else the volume will be infinite. What did I do wrong here?
  5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a mistake solving for x in 1/x + 2/y + 2/z = 1. 1/x=1-(2/y+2/z). That's
    x=1/(1-(2/y+2/z)). Not the same as your expression. I missed it. Sorry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?